+ Reply to Thread

Default Putting a beadboard ceiling on screenporch with vaulted roof

We have a screen porch with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling in the center is flat and then it is sloped on either side. I would like to apply tongue and grooved douglas fir beadboard planks. I will stain them first as well as put two coats of exterior poly. I am just not certain as to how to install the boards where the sloped areas meet the flat ceiling so that it looks uniform. Are there any tricks for getting a nice uniform seam between the sloped and flat areas? We also have several recessed cans that I would need to trim around. Thank you

Thumbs up Re: Putting a beadboard ceiling on screenporch with vaulted roof

Sounds like a good idea. I think I would start at the flat part on a center line and work my way to the edges. The last board at the edge where it meets the slope would have to be ripped at an angle that would allow the first board going down the slope to have a matching miter and would fit under the that board. This way with any shrinkage, you would not see a gap. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Putting a beadboard ceiling on screenporch with vaulted roof

Dave, Putting the bead board on the ceiling is a great idea with a few things you need to keep in mind. First are you doing it yourself and how much "trim" work do you have experience with. This will be more difficult than straight trim so you should consider this before you start. Second you need to consider the climate you live in. If you live in an area with significant changes in humidity, you can expect the boards to swell and shrink with the seasons so your tight joints may not stay that way all year long. I would find a small decorative moulding that you like and put that over the joints to allow for some movement of the boards. This is not unlike the space at the edges of a room that we are putting hardwood floors in. It needs room to move as well as your ceiling will.

Good luck with this project. Im sure when you are done you will be quite proud of it, and if you do it yourself- you will have the added pride of having a job well done.

Tim Williams
    Williams Custom Construction

Default Re: Putting a beadboard ceiling on screenporch with vaulted roof

You begin at the transition with full boards and work out from it in both directions. It's even and seamless that way, and requires no fancy cuts or scribes.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.