+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patio ceiling

Default Patio ceiling

we have a 20x24 ceiling on an open patio in the mountians of utah about 6 months out of the year there is snow on the ground what causes the sheet rock tape to seprate from the sheet rock under the patio, i have removed old tape, replaced, have used latex paint. have tried oil based paint, have tried 8inches blown inslation in the attic. seams start to crack open, paint and texture seprate and tape get exposed again. process starts all over again thanks for any help that we recieve

Default Re: Patio ceiling

Let's see if I understand your problem...
    You have an interior ceiling under an exterior patio.
    The ceiling is experiencing moisture.
    If so, you should make sure the patio is not leaking,
    Make sure you have a vapor barrier and R-30 insulation in the ceiling. You also need to ensure good ventilation in that space. If you can't provide ventilation then you need to fill that space with spray foam. (Not DIY)
    Hope this helps.

Sounds to me there is drywall outside which would not be a good idea.

Im a bit confused by your post. If this is an enclosed porch situation you may have a roofing or in the case of a room under a terrace a membrane issue. Its also posible I guess if its a a rrom under a terrace you may have increased deflection due to snow loading causing the seems to spread apart. Post a picture.

Question Re: Patio ceiling

I am beginning to experience a similar problem. The sheetrock ceiling on my front porch is just beginning to peel. That is, the texture (joint compound)is cracking and starking to flake in small areas. Also, the ceiling is beginning to sag abit. I can't understand how after thirty five years, this ceiling is beginning to have problems. The porch is south facing and the ceiling follows the pitch of the roof above. Perhaps being located north of Tucson Arizona has something to do with the longevity of the sheetrock.
    I know that I can put in some additional fastners to fix the sagging, but I would like to know if there is a product that would provide a good seal coat for the ceiling. Thanx