+ Reply to Thread

Default plaster wall and mold

I have a 1905 house that I purchased in 2003. There was an issue with water leaking in at the chimney that I knew about when I bought the house. I have had a lot of work done on the chimney and roof to repair the issues. The problem I am having is that I still have mold/fungus growth on the plaster on the chimney. Do I need to remove the plaster from the chimney and then replace it to get rid of this? I have spent a lot of time working on the issue with just about everything I can think of to get rid of the mold but every time it rains, the mold comes back. If removing the plaster is necessary, any tips on how to remove it without damaging the brickwork underneath?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: plaster wall and mold

If the mold is coming back, it would indicate to me that the water is still coming in somewhere. Until you get that fixed, I wouldn't do any more work on the rest of it. You'll just run the risk of having to un-do your work when it gets moldy, later.

With mold, scrubbing really well with Clorox or something like it and then painting it with one or two coats of Kilz, has always worked for me. After that, I just paint the wall the color I want it to be.

Good Luck.

Default Re: plaster wall and mold

Most sources say to never use bleach to kill mold on anything that is porous. It's fine in the kitchen on sinks, tile, etc. Mold needs moisture, and bleach is about 90% water. Some sites I've read say that you are simply watering the mold if you are using it to kill growth on wood, plaster, etc. I would not use bleach at all. It works temporarily to "whiten" the mold, but days later all you've done is given it more moisture to grow back.

There are products in home stores that are designed for mold remediation.