+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Pickeling from Cabinets

Hi! I am looking for some help in removing the pickeling from my kitchen and bath cabinets. Cabinets are oak and I did not pickel them. I absolutely HATE the pickeling. Too much pink in it for my taste and it depresses me. I would like to make the cabinets a dark rich color (like a jacobean). Ansy suggestions to help get that crap off will be appreciated!! HELP!!

Default Re: Removing Pickeling from Cabinets

It's going to be hard to get the paint out of the pores of an open grain wood like oak. Use a chemical stripper to remove the majority of the paint/finish and then you may want to look into something like a gel stain that sits on top of the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    It's going to be hard to get the paint out of the pores of an open grain wood like oak. Use a chemical stripper to remove the majority of the paint/finish and then you may want to look into something like a gel stain that sits on top of the wood.
    Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about using a gel stain, but I will give it a try on the back of one of the cabinet doors.

Pickeling was a trend that came and went. If you see pink it sounds like red oak.
    The good news is that if you're thinking Jacobean you can make a glaze of polyeurathane and stain and go over the pickeling. As long as they were not done in laquer, this process will work fine.
    Sand the doors, styles, rails , sides and what ever else there is and be sure that the oils from hands over the years is cleaned off from around knobs and door corners, etc.
    Mix about 1/2 pint stain to a quart of eurathane to start. Test an area on the back of a door and see what it does before you get to far along. Getting the mix right is the key and they will not need to be stripped.
    You can create a dark glaze over a pickeled finish with very good results. If the test area looks too light, try a second coat before adding more stain to the mix.

Thanks JRoper! Another good suggestion that I had not thought of either. I am just ready to get rid of that darn pickling. The pink color depresses me. It is in the kitchen and both bathrooms. The former owner went a bit overboard with the pickling. She even had the master bedroom painted a pale shade of pink!!! WAY too much for me!!!

Thanks again. I'll give this a try too!!!