+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    I recently had engineered floors installed. Problem: I can see pimples in the wood where staples are imbedded. Spoke with contractor and he stated that was common because they had to install 3/8" wood because it was laid on existing floor. Is this right? It looks unsightly. If they were using staples shouldn't they be smaller or positioned further down as to make them invisible? I feel like I am getting a snow job. Would it be reasonable for me to demand the job be redone? My hard earned pension money is at stake.
    Thanks
    Last edited by photopaint2; 04-09-2010 at 12:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,155

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Can you post pictures?

    All the engineered floors that I've installed were "floating", they were not fastened to the floor. Times and products change, so I cannot say whether your floors should have been left floating or not.

    Strip flooring of the old days was face nailed, holes filled, sanded and finished in place, and that still holds true today for this type of flooring. Tongue and groove flooring is nailed through the tongue, thereby concealing the fasteners.

    From the sounds of it, you have engineered flooring which likely has a tongue and groove on it, and the contractor face nailed it and left it as is. Correct? If so, then staples were not the correct fastener to use, and the job is not finished if you can still see the fasteners or feel them under your feet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by photopaint2 View Post
    I recently had engineered floors installed. Problem: I can see pimples in the wood where staples are imbedded. Spoke with contractor and he stated that was common because they had to install 3/8" wood because it was laid on existing floor. Is this right? It looks unsightly. If they were using staples shouldn't they be smaller or positioned further down as to make them invisible? I feel like I am getting a snow job. Would it be reasonable for me to demand the job be redone? My hard earned pension money is at stake.
    Thanks
    Did you mean dimples?
    Either way --- engineered flooring is commonly nailed ( or stapled ) down as well as floating.
    However they generally aren't face nailed in the field --- other than along the first course or so. They should be fastened through the tongue so as not to be visible
    Hard to tell what the issue is but it sounds like the contractor isn't too concerned about providing a satisfactory answer. If you purchased this material from a store and it was their installer -- have someone from the store come out to look at the finshed product.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Thanks for your input. My sentiments exactly. It is unsightly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Spoke with contractor again yesterday. His constant remark was the floor was secure. I had to constantly bring him back to fact the floor was improperly installed. He is coming out today. Keep you posted. He purchased the floor and hired sub-contractor.
    A. Spruce there is an attachment...hope it is clear enough.
    Thanks again for caring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_873975.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	3438  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,155

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Because TOH restricts the size of attached photos, that is very difficult to see details. However, from what I can tell, it looks like the floor has likely expanded, causing the ridging between boards. I suspect that the material wasn't acclimated to the room before it was installed. This type of expansion is specifically why a gap is maintained around the perimeter of the room, so the floor has a place to move to, it's also the reason for the preferred "floating" method installation of flooring. Another cause for expansion can be excessive moisture from underneath or high relative humidity.

    As for the staple, can't really tell what's going on there. If there are only a few, then it could have been a misfire that wasn't pulled before the next plank went in OR it could be that the floor started heaving on the installer and he shot a few surface staples trying to pull it back down. Either way, not a proper installation method.

    Rereading your original post, you say that this flooring is 3/8" thick because it was installed over another floor. What is that floor (more hardwood, tile, vinyl, etc. )? and what is the subfloor (raised foundation, concrete slab ... )? And finally, was there any significant damage to that floor that would explain what is going on with the new flooring?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Attached to original hardwood floor in good condition. Only reason new floor was for convenience. Whole floor has these pimples regularly spaced. 3/8" hardwood.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Attached to original hardwood floor in good condition. Only reason new floor was for convenience. Whole floor has these pimples regularly spaced. 3/8" hardwood. If you would notice the two areas along the edges under the text is area in which the staples are pushing up leaving little humps.
    The flooring was brought in the night before installation. Should it have been brought in earlier?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by photopaint2 View Post
    Attached to original hardwood floor in good condition. Only reason new floor was for convenience. Whole floor has these pimples regularly spaced. 3/8" hardwood. If you would notice the two areas along the edges under the text is area in which the staples are pushing up leaving little humps.
    The flooring was brought in the night before installation. Should it have been brought in earlier?
    Yes it should have acclimated longer than overnight.

    Some the issues may be attributed to the old floor not being a true substrate to lay the new floor -- depends. Sometimes taking shortcuts for the sake of convienience can come and bite one in the butt.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,155

    Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by photopaint2 View Post
    Attached to original hardwood floor in good condition. Only reason new floor was for convenience.
    It probably would have been cheaper and easier to refinish what you had rather than install new. Since that ship has already sailed, there's no reason to dwell on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by photopaint2 View Post
    If you would notice the two areas along the edges under the text is area in which the staples are pushing up leaving little humps.
    Ok, now I'm seeing the bumps or pimples as you're calling them. First, look at the leftover materials, are these pimples on that as well? If not, then they are a result of the installation. If I had to guess, the guy wasn't at all careful about knocking the planks together and probably beat them a little too hard. If the bumps are at fasteners, then again, improper installation of both the hardwood and the fasteners, assuming the bumps are not on the unused, untouched leftover materials

    Quote Originally Posted by photopaint2 View Post
    The flooring was brought in the night before installation. Should it have been brought in earlier?
    Holy Mackerel! Yes, it should have been in the house for at least several days if not a week or more, depending on the temperatures where the material had been previously stored. It should have also been stacked in a manner that allowed airflow in and around the bundles. This acclimation period is essential for the material to warm and expand, as well as absorb ambient humidity. This time period gives the materials a chance to do what its going to do and stabilize before being installed.

    You may need to call in the manufacturer's rep for inspection and consultation. If the materials were not installed in accordance with their guidelines, then it is the fault of the contractor to make it right. He's not going to like replacing the floor on his own dime, so be prepared for a struggle. I would also hope that you've held back on final payment until this matter is resolved, it may be your only means of negotiation and resolution.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •