+ Reply to Thread

Default Tongue Oil not Drying

I applied a product called ****en's Antique Tongue Oil over wide pine flooring. I followed the manufacturers instructions to tee but the floor has been done for a month and is not drying. I recently scrubbed it with thinner but it still appears to be oily. What recomendations might you have to coorect this finish issue?

Default Re: Tongue Oil not Drying

If you hang your head out the window while driving down the highway your tongue will be dry in no time.

Now if it is tung oil you are talking about then the problem is probably as previously described and the sap is causing a problem.

sorry...couldn't resist....hanging around 10 year olds at ball practice will do this to ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    If you hang your head out the window while driving down the highway your tongue will be dry in no time.

sorry...couldn't resist....hanging around 10 year olds at ball practice will do this to ya.....
    yuk yuk yuk
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The thing that is common to all oil finishes that I am familiar with, is that the surface is saturated with the oil, allowed to absorb for a few minutes and then ALL the excess oil wiped off. Oil finishes do not have chemnical driers in them, as do oil paints. If the wood still has it natural oils and resins, obviously it will not absorb as much oil. Excess oil left on the surface will remain sticky for months!

What product do you recomend cleaning the oil off the top with? Thinner and mineral spirits have oil distilates in them and aren't solving my problem.

Greg,

Try turpentine and rubbing with very fine steel wool. You will probably go through a lot of steel wool as it gets gummed up with the residue.