+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default HEPA jobsite vac

I am a small contractor and renovator trying to comply with new EPA regulations regarding lead paint in pre-1978 homes. We have a lot of them here in southern Maine. I'm pretty straightened out on most aspects and I'm now trying to narrow my choices for a HEPA filtered jobsite vac that meets federal requirements and is as affordable as possible in this (for me at least) high priced game.

Thanks.

Bob

Default Re: HEPA jobsite vac

We have been using Festool dust collector/shop vacs with hepa filters for years. The small company I work for has two, and I liked them so much I bought one (C-22) for myself. In addition to being great quiet cleaners, they allow dust-free cutting and sanding. They are kind of expensive, but they discount a little if you buy a tool along with the vac.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandavis View Post
    I am a small contractor and renovator trying to comply with new EPA regulations regarding lead paint in pre-1978 homes. We have a lot of them here in southern Maine. I'm pretty straightened out on most aspects and I'm now trying to narrow my choices for a HEPA filtered jobsite vac that meets federal requirements and is as affordable as possible in this (for me at least) high priced game.

Thanks.

Bob
    Air Storm makes one that starts at $ 1,100.00.
    I have been told that you can get some Hepa vac's starting at $ 700.00?
    Bob what agency in your area is inforcing the EPA ruling that goes into effect 22 April 2010 for contractors duing work on homes or Child care facility, schools.
    Who checks the date structure was build.
    Is the permit office requiring certification of the contractor or do you as the certified contractor handle everything yourself?
    Can the home owner Opt-out in your area?

I wish I knew more, but at this point, all I've got is my certification and a lot of "I don't know'"

Don't know who will enforce. I think the nearest EPA office is in Boston, which is about 75 miles and a whole lot of contractors away from me in southern Maine.

To establish the construction date, I'm going by town or city tax records. Increasingly, they're on line, which makes it easy, and they're an official document, so I think EPA should accept that. Hope I never find out.

So far, I don't know how code enforcement locally is going to handle this. It wouldn't surprise me if they ask for my certificate when I pull a permit. We'll see.

My understanding is that under the EPA rule, the homeowner is not subject to the regulations if doing the work him/herself. If I do the work, the homeowner can NOT opt out. (I just took the training two weeks ago, and we were told that the provision for the homeowner to hire a contractor and sign a statement opting out of compliance with the rule has been eliminated.)

Hope that helps,

Wish I knew more.

Bob