+ Reply to Thread

Smile squeaky shower head

We just moved into our new house....The old shower head would squeak occasionally, so i thought i would buy a new one and replace the old. There was rust and some other crud on the old one, we have well water. So when i put the new head on the squeak was worse than ever, it is a very high pitched squeak that is just constant. So i removed the regulator to see if this would make the difference and it does not. So i guess i am looking for any other easy suggestions of how to fix the squeak.

Thanks

Default Re: squeaky shower head

Squealing showerheads usually has to do with the size or the inlet orifice and/or the rubber restricter that is used to make it "low flow". If it has a rubber restricter, remove it. If it's just a hole, drill it slightly larger.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If this only happens while using the shower and you have removed the restrictor then it could be the diverter .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the suggestions. This was happening on the old shower head too. What exactly is the diverter and can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsparky27 View Post
    What exactly is the diverter and can it be fixed?
    The diverter is what transfers the water from the tub spout to the shower head. Sometimes this is a physical valve in the wall, mostly this is just a lever on the tub spout that closes of the spout and forces the water up to the shower head. I've never experienced whistle with the tub style diverter, though there is a first time for everything. Usually the diverter in the wall will have a seal go bad, which is what does the singing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question? If they took the shower head off and turned on the water and it did not squeak, would that mean it was not the diverter?

That happens to me when if i use cheap shampoos or conditioners. It depends how your hair turns out after your shower- usually its bad for me if my hair squeaks.

` edit.
    i have used ones that arent cheap that make my hair like i explained. i used redkin which is a good brand it just did nothing for my hair though so it helps to try different brands.