+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biscuit Joints

Default Biscuit Joints

Biscuit cutter?

Hey Gang,

Okay, I知 an electrician and for the most part, electricians and wood do not mix.

However, I知 kinda handy and enjoy woodworking on an occasional level.

My dilemma has been that I have moved to a town home that has few built-in shelves for books.. My library for the most part is still boxed in my basement and I知 tired of digging through boxes for whatever I might want to retrieve.

Anyway, rather than building a total library in my study I want to build hanging book cases spread around my home......... I have hundreds of books.

My question:

I have basic woodworking tools including a router, table saw whatever.

I would like to do very strong 90 degree joints which are blind fastened on the cases on all 90 degree joints

Is a biscuit cutter the best way? I have never used one.

Default Re: Biscuit Joints

Best way is a matter of opinion but it is easy. Or you can use a router or table saw to cut a stop slot and install a spline or make through slots for splines and add a face frame. Or you can use a table saw or router to do locking splines You build a jig like this to make the cuts on a table saw.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree that a dado is going to be the strongest (assuming shelf supports??? ). I personally like adjustable shelving for flexibility, but that's really more of a bookshelf of the beholder than anything else. Biscuits will work fine for this as well IF you've already got the equipment, but as jkirk points out, using things you already have as opposed to buying more toys is the better way to go, not that buying more toys is a bad thing.

What was the question again?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The greatest strength against racking is a properly installed and solid back not the corners of a bookcase.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    cordless drills and router bits are to woodworkers are what shoes are to women

Except the cordless drills and router bits get used more than once.
    Jack

Thanks for the replies guys..

This coming weekend and I’ll have worked a month straight without a day off. But, today was pay off day. My company is moving our offices and I have been spending my weekends building new built-in plan tables for everyone and new tops to put on file cabinets for our front office staff.

I also took a little time for my own office and made a “desk” top with one end affixed to the wall and the other end on craftsman style leg supports that I made. The top is at 40” bar height and runs parallel to my plan table which is at the same height at the front edge. I work from a draftsman’s height chair or standing up. I have a couple of bar stools on the backside of my “desk” for visitors.

I moved all my shite today, got my puter set up and files relocated and really like my new space. (Cranked a little Stevie Ray Vaughn, “Live at Monroe Tavern“.)

I’m finishing some wood tops for the front office as well as some Oak banding for the receptionist’s counter. I’ll say that hands down; if you are a weekend woodworker who wants a pro looking finish on wood projects the Arm-R products from Rockler are hands down far superior to anything you can buy from a hardware store or big-box.

As far as my book cases go…………… I want everything to be “blind”. I don’t want so much as a pin hole from a nailer showing up on the sides of the cabinets. The backs will all have シ” ply on the backs as well as using two good faced ply for the cases……………….. Can I dado and biscuit? Would glue be enough on the dado’s without the biscuit?

I'm tired, not used to working for a living.

You may be right...........

New Shoes lyrics

Woke up cold one Tuesday
    I'm looking tired and feeling quite sick
    I felt like there was
    Something missing
    In my day to day life
    So I
    Quickly opened the wardrobe
    Pulled out some jeans and a T-Shirt that seemed clean
    Topped it off with a pair of old shoes that were ripped around the seams
    And I thought
    These shoes just don't suit me

Hey, I put some new shoes on
    And suddenly everything is right
    I said
    Hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling
    It's so inviting
    Oh, short on money
    But long on time
    Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine
    And I'm
    Running late and I don't need an excuse to wear in my brand new shoes

Woke up late one Thursday
    And I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes
    And I
    Felt like there were two days missing
    As I focused on the time
    AS I made my way to the kitchen
    But I had to stop from the shock of what I found
    A room full of all my friends
    All dancing 'round and 'round
    And I thought
    Hello new shoes
    Bye bye blues

I said

It's so inviting
    Oh, short on money
    But long on time
    And I'm

Take me wondering through these streets
    Where bright lights and angels meet
    Stone to stone they take me on
    I'm walking till the break of dawn

Take me wondering through these streets
    Where bright lights and angels meet
    Stone to stone they take me on
    I'm walking till the break of dawn

I said
    It's so inviting
    Oh, short on money
    But long on time
    And I'm

Oh hey, I put some new shoes on
    I said
    It's so inviting
    Oh, short on money
    But long on time
    And I'm

"Kent" is over the edge and prefers it that way.

Love ya all though.

Dado and glue is enough. No need for bisquits.

But....I will recommend that you don't dado for the full thickness of the ply shelves. Go with a dado about 1/2 the thickness of the ply and then rabbet the end of the shelf to fit that dado. 3/8" dado would be pretty common for this. (Tongue of rabbet goes up, not down ...so dado your ply accordingly.) This results in a shoulder on the end of each shelf and that makes things much stronger.

Don't know if you're using pre-finished ply or not, but if you are....strip/sand the finish off in the glue area or you won't have squat for adhesion. (If any sanding is done, keep it light/to a bare minimum. You don't want to change the dimension of the ply cause the tongues won't fit tight then.)

If you are finishing the ply before assembly...just tape off the glue area to keep the finish off of it.

If you don't want *anything* to show when you're done....you'll have to make those dados..."stop-dados" of course. And...cut off the very front portion of the shelf tongue to accomodate the length of the stop-dado.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    As far as my book cases go…………… I want everything to be “blind”. I don’t want so much as a pin hole from a nailer showing up on the sides of the cabinets. The backs will all have シ” ply on the backs as well as using two good faced ply for the cases……………….. Can I dado and biscuit? Would glue be enough on the dado’s without the biscuit?
    Whether you rabbet or dado or biscuit the case together doesn't matter because the glue and the joint will be plenty strong. Nails are used instead of clamps to hold pieces together while the glue dries. In most cases you can forgo nails and just clamp things together, but you've got to have plenty of clamps and time (nails facilitate mass production/speed ). Where the biscuits will come in really handy is installing the face frame. If you biscuit the frame to the carcase, you will not have nary a nail to contend with, all you have to do is have enough clamps for the job OR enough time to do the glue-up in stages. Word to the wise, when using biscuits, dry fit the pieces together. Apply the glue to the stock NOT the biscuit because the biscuit will begin to swell when the moisture of the glue hits it, making assembly more difficult. Make sure you apply glue into both sides of the biscuit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Tongue of rabbet goes up, not down ...so dado your ply accordingly.
    If you're saying what I think you are, I'd have to disagree. Instead of saying tongue, I'm going to say notch (the rabbeted or removed portion ). IMHO, the notch up results in a stronger shelf because the plywood is compressed by the weight of the books. If you put the notch down, then the weight of the books in the middle of the shelf is trying to delaminate the plywood shelf. Similarly with solid wood stock, you'll get full thickness bearing with the notch up, whereas with the notch down you considerably reduce the strength of the shelf.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 10-24-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!