Fireplace and smoky odor
We purchased a 1969 colonial 7 years ago and fell in love with the fireplace. The problem is that after we burn a fire we can smell the smoke weeks later. The next day after a fire we completely clean out the fireplace. In addition, we have had the chimney cleaned mulitiple times, have had the chimney waterproofed, repointed and even put a new damper on the very top of the chimney. We are contemplating knocking down the entire fireplace and chimney and rebuilding, but figure that would be very expensive and are looking for some expert advice before doing so. With the cost of home heating oil we are looking to use our fireplace this winter quite frequently. Please help. Thank you.