+ Reply to Thread

Default 1940's Bathroom Wall Tile Directly on Back of Exterior Masonry Wall

I am demoing my 70 year old bathroom. I am having extreme difficulty removing the wall tile. The tile was bonded with concrete/grout direct to the back of the masonry exterior wall.

I have used a variety of chisels and hammer to try to remove the tile. The tile is bonded so well to the concrete that the tile chips off, leaving a rounded edge, which you can't put your chisel on.

I haven't come accross too much information ******. I know there has to be quite a few people who have encountered such a problem. Unfortunately given our bathroom size and configuration, covering it up is not much of an option.

I tried an angle grinder last night - I was hoping it was going to do more to help.

If anyone has any thoughts on the best most efficient way to remove the tile or links to information, Could you please respond?

Default Re: 1940's Bathroom Wall Tile Directly on Back of Exterior Masonry Wall

You are probably going to have to put the hammer and chisel down and go rent yourself a roto-hammer, aka chipping hammer. Basically a smaller version of a jack hammer designed for such jobs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks I didn't really know about that type of tool.

I just need to be careful not to knock the exterior walls down. So far busting out the cast-iron tub, I haven't noticed any damage so I should be good. I also do have an interior wall that I could test the chipper on prior to working on the exterior wall mounted tiles.

I just did a search for chipping hammers. There seams to be many different options: Small to large electric chippers as well as pneumatic powered chippers. And then of course rent verses buy, and buy quality or buying a cheep one.

Here is a link to a forum I found helpful for anyone interested:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...p/t-38701.html

IMHO, this is a rental item, particularly for the average DIY'r who doesn't use tools like this more than a few times in a lifetime.

For your purposes, a small electric will be all you need, and it should not cause any damage to the integrity of the wall because 1, it's a small, lightweight tool, and 2, you're using it parallel to the wall surface, so all it's force it going at the joint between the wall and tile.

Roto-hammers come in all shapes and sizes, you need the electric one that's about twice the size of a sawzall. A rental yard will have them for less than $100 a day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When you check on the hammer drill ask if they have a tooth chisel that will work with the hammer drill.This tool will work just like a Bush Hammer.
    Check the following.
    Trow & Holden stone cutting tools.
    Look at The Barre Pneumatic Hand Facer also look at Dallett Style Carving tool Type "D".
    With these you can clean the brick and not damage the face of the brick.
    If you order the tooth chisel ask for part # CJ3412-9 and if you want the face increased 4 times in size it should not cost much more as they haved tooled to do this for Me at times.
    Thow & Holden Ph# 1-800-451-4349