+ Reply to Thread

Default Drainage and grading dirt at low foundation

I have a problem with water coming up against my house during large storms because my neighbor's house is about a foot higher than mine. He is about 15 feet away. I wish to redirect the runoff between the two houses toward the street. I want to accomplish this with a perforated pipe french drain between the houses with outlet closer to the street, but more importantly, I need to grade the dirt from my house toward that drain. I need to slope it and raise it at least 1 foot higher at the wall. My issue is that I have to raise this dirt level above the foundation line up about 2 bricks at least. (The water has gone that high.) There are weep strings coming out of the mortar joints where the bricks meet the foundation. I am not sure if all I need to do it put lots of tar or roofing cement along this joint and stick plastic sheeting to it to seal it before backfilling, or if the strings have to show always. Any suggestions on sealing this joint would be appreciated.

Default Re: Drainage and grading dirt at low foundation

No one else has answered so I hope no one minds if I comment

Yes, those wicks need to be exposed - they wick the moisture from behind the brick that's between it and your structure. If they don't drain out, they'll drain in.

lower your ground, don't raise your water. Ground level should never be above your sill. There should be 8 or 10 inches of foundation showing above ground.

There should be a swale between you and your neighbor.

I have the same problem, and don't want to keep the grade it requires to maintain propers drainage. Our yard is at 20 degrees for the 11 feet to the neighbors house. I will bury about a foot and a half of foundation and a few rowes of brick, redrill the weep holes for the wall drafting. All I need to know is what would keep the water out. Like the original post, I am thinking roofing tar with tar paper over that. Once its waterproofed and my yard is level, I will redrill/cut thier weep holes. My foundation is exposed a foot so really I will need like a 25 degree and more dirt work than what Im interested in. Any suggestions?

Our yard is 20 degrees for 11 feet to the neighbor's house. I will bury a foot and a half of the foundation and a few brick Rowes, redrill the drain holes in the wall of writing. All you need to know is to keep water out. Like the original post, I'm thinking of tar with tar paper on it. Once your water test and my garden is level, I'm going to cut drainage holes.