+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing aluminum fascia : roof eave has 1" of crown. Now what?

Hello, working on installing aluminum fascia, soffit and gutters on an '80s home in central MN. Roof is a 4/12 pitch, shingles are about 5 years old, in great shape, installed over decking, felt, and a drip edge with 24" eave overhangs and 16" rake overhangs. Home currently has plywood siding installed 'board and batten' style, with no groove rough face plywood and vertical battens @ 16" oc. Going to be redoing the siding in a year or two (starting to suffer in places beyond the help of paint), but we like the look and may very well go back to the same style (perhaps using HardiBoard or LP Smartsiding panels?). Currently has 6" wood fascia (1x6 w/ no subfascia and a 1x2 'shingle strip' that is mostly covered by the drip edge) that is starting to fail in places. I am adding an additional 1x8 to the existing system (replacing any rot first), this widens my fascia and furs it out flush with the 1x2 shingle strip and the drip edge - thus a nice flat surface for the fascia install. Hopefully that is enough backstory, now to the brass tacks. I have two questions regarding the south side of the house:

1. I have installed the rake (gable) subfascias (east and west) and had to do some board ripping to keep them straight, but not much. However, my south side is a continuous 32' run, and if I run a stringline from gable to gable, the center of the 32' run is an inch HIGH. Enough that my 8" aluminum fascia won't cover it. Do I:
    a. Bite the bullet and order some 10" fascia, trimming as reqd. at the ends?
    b. Install the 8" fascia I have leaving a gap that I COULD cover when I install the gutter (install high, slope both ways)?
    c. Install 8" fascia and get some narrow coilstock to bridge the gap?
    d. Combination of 'c' & 'd'?
    e. Install sub and fascia with the crown (seems like a really bad idea)?
    f. ??????

2. This side of the home takes a lot of abuse from the sun. Of the entire home, the siding, fascia and paint are in the worst shape here - bone dry, and no rot to be sure, but peeling, checking and buckling. Any EXTRA precautions I should take with the fascia, soffit and gutter on this side?

Long winded, but thanks for reading and thank you in advance for your advice. Mike

Default Re: Installing aluminum fascia : roof eave has 1" of crown. Now what?

Photos will help. To post photos, load them onto a host like photobucket.com and give us the link.

1. You have to ask yourself why you want to install aluminum fascia. If your answer is to protect against water, then option (a) is the best one for you. Agree?

2. All areas which are exposed to oppressive sun need more frequent attention and treatments, because it seems that whatever you do, these areas always look beat up.

Don't sandwich wood on wood, it becomes a moisture trap.
    Tear the old fascias off and use 2x6(or 2x8), or have the aluminum bent around the shingle strip an under the drip edge lip. If the shingles are just a couple years old, you should be able to bend them back enough to re-nail the drip edge into the new 2x6.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks to both of you. I had come to basically the same conclusion. Switched to 2x10's from end to end, then snapped a chalkline at the right height an ripped a straight (well, FAIRLY straight) line with the skilsaw. A bit of a pain hanging the 2x10's without a helper but I managed. Thanks again. Now to the next problem, see new post.