+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Exposed Wood - Damage Avoidance

The previous owners of my house apparently painted it w/o any primer. I a couple of spots the paints has peeled away leaving exposed wood. I don't want this wood to rot or get damaged in any way.

What should I do with it before I get a change to do a proper paint job? Prime it? Or some other material over the exposed wood?

The house was built 1885 and long wide slats of wood on the sides for a covering. As far a can the siding is still the original.

Thanks!

Wayne

Default Re: Exposed Wood - Damage Avoidance

Waynehapp,

You can just sc****, feather sand and prime the bare areas and spot paint with a matching acrylic finsih coat. If you prime, be sure to go ahead and finish coat as primers deteriorate in a matter of weeks.

In truth, if you don't get around to doing anything before spring, the world won't come to an end. Wood that can thouroughly dry our everytime it gets wet will last for years with no protective coating at all! A house of such an age was undoubtedly built with true dimension 2x4's, balloon frame construction (no barriers or fire stops from the basement to the roof) and NO insulation. Air is freely moving within the wall. A few years ago, I paint an 1883 Victorian and was astounded at how little rotted wood was on the house. Even all the windows were orignal and operable!

However, moisture does migrate freely in these old homes from the interior toward the exterior atmosphere. Make sure you have good ventilation fans in baths, kitchen,laundry and keep the humidifier relatively low. There were no interior vapor barriers on these old homes. The only barrier moisture meets is the years of oil paint jobs that are on the exterior siding. Moisture enters the siding from the rear, the sun heats the siding during the summer and vapor pressure pops the paint.

As to the eventual paint job: I am from the old school and prefer an oil primer followed by acrylic finish coat(s). Acrylic paint breathes much better than oil, letting vapor pass on through more readily. Acrylic is also much more fade resistant.