+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What style is this 1880 built brick house?

Here are three pictures of the same house in my city, Saginaw, Michigan, one from 1967 (I haven't been able to go out and film the house myself), one from my city's assessor (I apolgise for the size and sad condition (It's my dream to own and restore this house)), and one I made in MS Paint. I'd appreciate help on determining the style of this house because it has long perplexed me. I've gone from Queen Anne to Eastlake to almost giving up because the features seem so eclectic. For me, the odd features of this house are the square tower, the architraves on the windows, the gable window, the bell-cast tower, and the overall geometric appearance and lack of very ornate detail.

I also hope you might be able to help me on whether the paint palette I came up with in paint is fitting to the style of this house? BTW I know the picture is puny, but if anyone has any idea the type of brick used, I'd love to know.

Thank you so much for whatever information you can provide!
    Last edited by Viktor77; 04-07-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: What style is this 1880 built brick house?

Please dont take this the wrong way, but the house reminds me a lot of "The Adams Family" or "The Munsters". Might a search on that yield some clues? What ever it is, its got tons of character for sure.

Hi,
    It's mostly a queen anne composition, but there are a lot of elements of "High Victorian Gothic", which was a style mostsly used on pblic buildings, rarely finding its way into residential architecture.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Hi,
    It's mostly a queen anne composition, but there are a lot of elements of "High Victorian Gothic", which was a style mostsly used on pblic buildings, rarely finding its way into residential architecture.
    S_M
    Oh, interesting. For a while I was calling it a Queen Italianate because it looked like an exploded Italianate, but now I may have to call it a Gothic Queen lol. What specific elements are characteristic of the High Victorian Gothic Revival style? Is it the windows? The prominence of vertical elements? What?

The dead giveaway to HVGothic is the heaviness of the detailing. That style of window hood rendered in brick is textbook.
    Also the witch's hat tower roof with acute pointed dormers.
    That style is just so rare to see in residential, and I am always happy to see a survivor. I'm sure the interior has some amazing details, too.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    The dead giveaway to HVGothic is the heaviness of the detailing. That style of window hood rendered in brick is textbook.
    Also the witch's hat tower roof with acute pointed dormers.
    That style is just so rare to see in residential, and I am always happy to see a survivor. I'm sure the interior has some amazing details, too.
    S_M
    Well, here's a scan from the same book of the drawing room and dining room. The house, so says the book, has winding staircases and hallways and an overbearing presence of heavy beamed lumber (though that just may be because the original owner was a lumberbaron). Does the interior, from what you can see, especially the fireplace, seem characteristic of HVGothic? Thank you BTW for all your help in identifying this HVGothic features of this house.

Last edited by Viktor77; 04-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.

This is a High-Victorian Gothic (Ruskinian)! I also have a High-Victorian Gothic (1874) but not Ruskinian. You'd find it interesting to read about John Ruskin and his work. I love your house!

Oooh interesting! And thanks!

Wonderful house and the colors you chose will work well.

It's hard to tell if the brick is painted - if not, I would suggest not painting the brick. A suggestion for the window sash would be Ben Moore Essex Green.

Good luck,
    Ken
    http://www.oldhouseguy.com

Simply amazing house! And I would have to agree with Sombreuil_mongrel in that I would call it a queen anne composition, but there are a lot of elements of "High Victorian Gothic". You nailed it S_M!