+ Reply to Thread

Default wrought iron railing problem

Have a modern split level house with deck running length of house w/8' windows over looking scenic woods on upper level. This deck has a wrought iron square railing approx 3' tall with wrought iron posts attached to deck beams.
    Problem: have a 2 yr old child & need to put a temporary railing about 1 1/2 to 2' feet to keep child from falling. Do not want to drill into wrought iron posts, since in 1 or 2 yrs to remove.
    any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is U bolts with wire cable.
    In todays building codes, this railing probably would not pass, but came w/house when I bought it 3 yrs ago.

Default Re: wrought iron railing problem

I once had a client with a similar problem. We installed 1/4" plexiglass with zip ties to the wrought iron. No damage to the railings, kept the kid from falling, completely reversible with no residual damage or issues. As I recall, we ran the plexi tight to the handrail and left a small gap at the floor for ease of vacuuming/cleaning. This prevented the kids from grabbing the top of the plexi and still trying to climb, and this client's kid was a climber.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!