+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Help! Where is this water coming from?

We bought our 40 yr old house 5 yrs ago. The previous owner had been remodeling many things including one of the upstairs bathrooms. Every so often we would get water (minimal) dripping in the foyer which is directly under the bathroom. We attributed this to our daughters forgetting to put the shower liner in the tub while showering.
    Lately however we seem to have developed a huge water problem. The water level in both upstairs toilets keeps going low and then when you flush the toilets water is cascading into the foyer. In addition, when our daughter took a shower today as soon as she shut the shower off water began cascading into the foyer.
    We have a family "friend" who does plumbing jobs for us on occasion, but I feel like he doesn't always tell us the truth of the problem so much as he tells us the biggest thing he can to get the most money out of us.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: Help! Where is this water coming from?

If you have PVC plumbing and you get water from the toilet and the shower the best guess would be a drain line coupling was improperly glued and is coming apart.

Another possibility is improper venting and a bad wax seal on the toilet.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hmmm --- some strange things going on there.
    From your description it sounds like the ceiling in the foyer needs to come down anyway ---- that would give a good view of the problem from below.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Help! Where is this water coming from?

John -
    Does that mean that the fix would be to rod the line and then reseal it?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tifstr2 View Post
    John -
    Does that mean that the fix would be to rod the line and then reseal it?
    Thanks!
    A bad wax seal is not the likely source, and it would not explain a low water level in the bowl because the water level in the bowl is completely independent of the wax seal. Look at a cutaway view of a toilet to understand this.

Rodding the line will not help stop the leak.

Since you're getting the leak even when using the shower, it indicates a major leak in the drain line that receives the drainage of both the toilet and the shower. Possibly a joint that has come apart.

You will almost certainly have to take down part of the ceiling to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    What I think is happening is there is a partial stoppage in the waste line. When the line fills up then the wax seal leaks. Then as the water goes past the partial stoppage it siphons the bowl. I have seen this happen many times.

John
    Yes, I know what you mean, and it could happen as you say, if the blockage caused the drain line to fill from the point of blockage all the way up to the trap weir with no vent in between, but the reason I say it's doubtful is that the OP did not mention that the toilet won't flush properly, and the kind of blockage that would siphon the trap would cause very poor flushing. And, if the wax seal were the source of the leak, there would be damage to the floor around the bowl even if the bowl were caulked tight to the floor.

As you can see, I'm going on what the OP didn't say as much as what he/she did say.

[QUOTE=johnjh2o;179775]It may take more then one flush to fill the line. As far as the water showing up around the bowl it is more then likely taking the age of the home that the flange may be below the floor level do to floor replacement.

True. However, I'm having a hard time imagining that a leaking wax seal could result in a "cascade" of water thru the ceiling below.