+ Reply to Thread

Default Dual-Switches for Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture

I am trying to install a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture Combo with a switch to control each seperately. I have both switches installed and the wires ran, but I have ran into a problem in connecting the fixture. The fixture has a seperate black and blue hot but only one white neutral. Is there anyway to safely wire this fixture to run off two seperate switches?

Default Re: Dual-Switches for Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture

Yes, the white wire is connected to neutral, the black wire is connected to the switched hot from one switch and the blue wire is connected to the switched hot from the other switch.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There are two seperate circuits feeding the switches. I am assuming that this makes a difference since if I just used one neutral the circuit wouldnt be completed on the circuit that wasnt used.

First of all neutral does not feed to the switch only hot.
    Second all neutrals are the same and joined at the panel.
    It would be easier if you would say what cables you have at each location and I could provide a connection drawing for you.
    Jack

I forgot to mention that a white wire is not always a neutral, it is sometimes re-designated and used as a hot in a switch loop..
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Why? in the name of the great Jeosaphat would you use two separate circuits to feed a combo fan/light?
    I'm wondering that as well ???

Let the confusion begin,
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Just a guess, but I think he is calling 2 separate switch loops as two circuits.
    Jack

I have made a drawing for you in Paint, this might help. With there being two power sources to the switches, one could be taken out to help out so you have only one and then just run 14/2 wire to the switches then 14/3 to the fan/light box. The drawing will show that. If you need help with the drawing, I'll help you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fan Drawing.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	3439