+ Reply to Thread

Thread: glue pvc to abs

Default glue pvc to abs

we are in the process of installing a new bathtub.the drain kit for the tub is pvc.my question is can pvc be glued to the abs trap my wife bought or should we get a pvc trap

Default Re: glue pvc to abs

Nope --- PVC & ABS are two different materials and can not be directly glue together.

As for gettting a different "P" trap --- what material the drain pipe will determine which one you will need.

There are PVC to ABS adaptors available if needed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Nope --- PVC & ABS are two different materials and can not be directly glue together.
    I thought that too, but there is a green goey glue that is called transition cement specifically for this purpose. I personally would caution against gluing the tub to the drain system rather than using the more common compression nut affair, but to each their own.

Google "oatey transition cement" for more info.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Dang -- never saw that stuff --- but green?!?!?!?
    Then and again never join ABS & PVC by solvent -cement.

Funny thing though --- either the IRC or IPC or UPC or ICC or ... ( don't remember which )

Prohibited joints for DWV :
    Thou shalt not solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

BAH!!! What do they know ... Like I said, I don't disagree with you, I think the joint should be compression nutted, but then what do I know ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!