+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's either that or stand in the tub with an electric heater, I prefer the outlet tester.
    Now that is a true test --- make sure to have a stop watch to time how long it takes for the circuit to trip.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Now that is a true test --- make sure to have a stop watch to time how long it takes for the circuit to trip.
    I was once installing a hot tub and the homeowner had a work light clamped to the gutter overhead. Somehow the lamp got bumped and it fell into the full tub with half a dozen folks standing around it. Thankfully the GFI did its job and popped before anyone else did.

Just so we get this topic back on track, I wonder what would happen if you tossed a dishwasher into a hot tub ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just so we get this topic back on track, I wonder what would happen if you tossed a dishwasher into a hot tub ...
    Depends --- if she doesn't mind getting the hair wet
    - Rush

Boy are YOU going to be in trouble when she gets home!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Boy are YOU going to be in trouble when she gets home!
    Too late for that.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Depends --- if she doesn't mind getting the hair wet
    That may be the best answer to a question ever posted on the forum.

Is it possible the DW has a built-in GFCI circuit? Connecting two in series tends to cause problems like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jvande7471 View Post
    Is it possible the DW has a built-in GFCI circuit? Connecting two in series tends to cause problems like this.
    Connecting anything in series would tend to cause mucho problemos, methinks. Back to your query, I have never seen a DW with a pre-installed GFCI. But they sure could be out there.
    Some have posted that connecting a GFCI to another GFCI can cause problems. {Something else I have never found a reason to do**. But doing that will cause problems?

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Possible I guess.......... Can you post an example of any manufactured dishwasher with a built-in GFCI?
    No, I was guessing. Just sounded like a possibility. I don't look into DWs, so don't know what the latest is. Throwing out ideas. Thought one of the old-timers... err... seasoned vetrans might see that and go "Ahhh!! That's it!" Figured the next step in the evolution of appliances would be to pre-install GFCI rather than require a GFCI circuit. Then again, that would cause issues with retrofitting to an already supplied GFCI circuit.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Connecting anything in series would tend to cause mucho problemos, methinks. Back to your query, I have never seen a DW with a pre-installed GFCI. But they sure could be out there.
    Some have posted that connecting a GFCI to another GFCI can cause problems. {Something else I have never found a reason to do**. But doing that will cause problems?
    I didn't mean "in series". Bad wording on my part. Really meant two GFCI devices on the same circuit. My understanding is that they can sort of fight with each other, and cause one or the other to trip.

I can see this happening with a homeowner who thinks his kitchen isn't protected and installs a GFCI outlet, when it was actually protected from a GFCI outlet installed in the garage. From reading other posts regarding circuit requirements for kitchens, this sounds like it won't meet code today, but apparently it did at one time. Makes it a pain to find when you trip it.

John