+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Dishwasher on GFCI

    I have a dishwasher and disposal on their own circuit as well as one GFCI "upstream" of both of these units.

    Question: when I run the dishwasher it starts, but as soon as a heavy cycle starts (about 1 minute in), the DW kicks off. However, the disposal still works and the GFCI is not tripped. I can restart the DW by clicking on 'Start' again, but the problem repeats about one minute into the wash.

    I suspect I need to (1) move the GFCI downstream of the DW, (2) replace the GFCI with a standard outlet, or (3) remove that outlet altogether and leave the DW and disposal on their own (15 amp) circuit.

    Any help? Why does the DW stop but the GFCI isn't tripped? Bad GFCI?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    I finally got the DW to start, but was able to kill the circuit by clicking on the disposal. This is a 15 amp circuit that goes straight to GFI which is then split to the disposal and DW. After some research it is apparant that this is not a good idea. I'm going to reconfigure the GFI (since it's right next to the kitchen sink and switches) to be the end of line on this circuit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Howdy i have not heard of why one would have a GFI on the dishwasher an or disposal circuit. Might consider replacing it with a non gfi circuit breaker. Code now requires both of these appliances to be on their own dedicated circuits. The reason is the start up of the motors may overload a single breaker if both start at same time. Do you have any other loads on this circuit?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy i have not heard of why one would have a GFI on the dishwasher an or disposal circuit. Might consider replacing it with a non gfi circuit breaker. Code now requires both of these appliances to be on their own dedicated circuits. The reason is the start up of the motors may overload a single breaker if both start at same time. Do you have any other loads on this circuit?
    It is prudent to supply the DW on separate circuits. But crunching the numbers on 2010 equipment may surprise you. Doing some code sleuthing, I can only turn up a requirement on a dedicated supply for a DW. A FD can be placed on a small appliance circuit serving kitchen receptacle outlets {not counter outlets though**, and outlets in other rooms specified in 210.52{B**{1**.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Howdy dedicated circuit for dish washer and disposal was not referring to national code but state adopted codes .
    So as always be sure to check with the state electrical department for amendments to the national code.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,622

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    In the OP it stated the GFCI did not trip. If the GFCI did not trip it is not the cause of the problem. Most likely problem is with the electronic control for the DW.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,616

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    In the OP it stated the GFCI did not trip. If the GFCI did not trip it is not the cause of the problem. Most likely problem is with the electronic control for the DW.
    Jack
    Could also be a loose connection at the dishwasher. When the wash cycle changes or the motor kicks in it may provide just enough of a shake to interrupt the electronic controls of the DW. I've been surprised how many electrical problems I've solved by cleaning or restoring fouled connections.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Could also be a loose connection at the dishwasher. When the wash cycle changes or the motor kicks in it may provide just enough of a shake to interrupt the electronic controls of the DW. I've been surprised how many electrical problems I've solved by cleaning or restoring fouled connections.
    Boy, does that ring a bell. I do remember a homeowner having a problem with a DW on a dedicated circuit. The connection in that way to small box on the DW unit had a rather poorly made up pigtail involving the stranded wire & the 12 AWG copper. Redoing the twist has solved the problem for about three years now, and many more to come.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    yep --- look at the dishwasher.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,616

    Default Re: Dishwasher on GFCI

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    yep --- look at the dishwasher.
    Yup! It's a dishwasher. Now what?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •