+ Reply to Thread

Default redoing stair treads

When we ripped ancient carpeting off the stairways in our home, expecting oak treads, we found cheap pine treads. My contractor says they cant be sanded and stained, you cant just replace the treads,because they are cut into the molding, and that it is expensive to rebuild the stairs.

Are there any laminates or caps for the existing treads to make them look nicer? The landing below is ceramic tile, and above is pergo, so I dont really want to carpet them. We tried painting and it just doesnt look good.

any suggestions?

Default Re: redoing stair treads

First I would have to ask why they can't be sanded and stained or dyed. Second a faux wood grain finish might be a possability, that's been done for hundreds of years.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: redoing stair treads

I'm wondering if the treads and stringers were covered with carpet and if the treads are solid pine and not plywood .... in other words rough ins meant to be covered.?

Are there any laminates or caps for the existing treads to make them look nicer? The landing below is ceramic tile, and above is pergo, so I dont really want to carpet them.
    Yep

http://www.pergo.com/US_Install_Performance.aspx
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush