+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pavers

Question Pavers

I am thinking about inserting a section of pavers ontop a walkway although certian parts would be ontop of soil. Would the pavers keep their level over time or would they seperate and turn awkward?

Default Re: Pavers

That depends on how they're installed. As long as they are held captive, there's no reason that they won't stay in place and look good for a long time. Where they pass over dirt you will likely have some settling and heaving, but nothing that can't be fixed easily by lifting the pavers, leveling the ground and resetting the pavers. Our back patio was a mix of pavers and brick for 10 years before I poured a solid concrete pad to replace them a couple years ago. We don't have a problem with frost heave, but we do get pretty wet and soft in the winter months, still, the pavers stayed reasonably flat and even over the long haul.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B. View Post
    I am thinking about inserting a section of pavers ontop a walkway although certian parts would be ontop of soil. Would the pavers keep their level over time or would they seperate and turn awkward?
    They will move and separate if they are simply sitting on soil .... especially if you have winter frosts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It would depend on the area of the country that you're living. If you don't have any problem with frost heave, you could try using some sackrete as a base under the pavers, where they hit soil. I used it in Florida and it worked fine under a layer of red bricks. I put in a wood frame of redwood, filled the bottom 3-4 inches with the sackrete, laid the bricks on top of that, and then poured more sackrete (cement mix) into the cracks. I then swept the cement into the cracks and cleaned off the tops of the brick with a broom. Then, I sprinkled the bricks and cement for a while, working to get it really saturated so the water drained down to the base. That was 30 years ago and it's still there and in good shape.

If you're worried about frost heave, I'd go with the frame, a sand base, and sand in the joints. That way you can remove them and re-level the base if needed.

Good Luck.