+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck over porch

Default Deck over porch

Hi, I have a cottage and a screened in porch with a rubber roof. I was told not to use any type of sealant under my wood blocks that my decking joist will be anchored to. Was planning on anchoring blocks to roof to secure deck. How should I anchor deck to rubber roof?? Thank you

Default Re: Deck over porch

You do not fasten decking atop membrane. You build removable panels of decking on 2x4 sleepers. This is sometimes known as "duck boards". The sleepers should be shod with strips of membrane glued on, so as to prevent abrasion of the roof. We build them in manageable-sized square or rectangular panels, so they can be lifted (seasonally) and cleaned under.

S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Howdy another issue is when you make the framing members be sure to consider water flow so you do not impede it from running off the roofing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    You do not fasten decking atop membrane. You build removable panels of decking on 2x4 sleepers. This is sometimes known as "duck boards". The sleepers should be shod with strips of membrane glued on, so as to prevent abrasion of the roof. We build them in manageable-sized square or rectangular panels, so they can be lifted (seasonally) and cleaned under.

S_M
    thank you very much, this may be a job for a pro. I think I will contact the gentleman that framed my cottage. Again thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy another issue is when you make the framing members be sure to consider water flow so you do not impede it from running off the roofing.
    thank you , I did consider that. alot more difficult than I thought