+ Reply to Thread

Default Help making AC more efficient

We just bought a 2-story house. I need pointers on what to do to make AC/Heat more efficient. Do I close downstairs vents, close doors upstairs, what about crawlspace vents? Upstairs master bedroom does have ceiling fan which we run during the night.

Default Re: Help making AC more efficient

Is there a problem with the way it's running now? I wouldn't think that someone would put a supply in a crawl space, that would just invite critters to move in. You should have an HVAC contractor do a PM just to make sure everything is working OK, both Heat and AC

Closing off registers is generally not a good idea because it is very common for houses to have duct systems that are already only marginally large enough to handle the airflow from equipment that is often over-sized for the home's needs.

When you start closing registers, you restrict the airflow further, thereby reducing the efficiency of the equipment. This is especially a concern for A/C, since cooling capacity and efficiency are directly related to adequate airflow. A 3-ton unit can perform like a 2-ton unit if airflow is restricted.

Crawlspace vents: (assuming you mean vents to the outside) depending on the climate, it is generally good to open the vents in summer, but close them in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    We just bought a 2-story house. I need pointers on what to do to make AC/Heat more efficient. Do I close downstairs vents, close doors upstairs, what about crawlspace vents? Upstairs master bedroom does have ceiling fan which we run during the night.
    Depending on a number of factors, I would consider zoning.
    Your current thermostat is (probably) downstairs, with zoning you would also have one upstairs.
    Each floor can have it's own setting depending on day or night.