+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wet basement

Cool wet basement

I have a poured concrete basement floor, when we get a prolonged rain water comes up through the floor. I saw a product from stone technologies called concrete sealer x-3. would this do the trick ? any input greatly appreciated.

Default Re: wet basement

I'll take a stab - before you do anything like that I'd find out why you have water under the floor. You'd only be putting a band aid on a bigger problem, keeping the water from getting there in the first place is your better bet.

Is the basement finished or can you see the foundation?

When you say it's coming up through the floor, can you be more specific? Is it coming up through the concrete itself, cracks, windows, backflow/overflow from a drain or sump, at the edges where the slab meets the foundation wall?

Ditto what Hatsephsut posted.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Unhappy Re: wet basement

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsephsut View Post
    I'll take a stab - before you do anything like that I'd find out why you have water under the floor. You'd only be putting a band aid on a bigger problem, keeping the water from getting there in the first place is your better bet.

Is the basement finished or can you see the foundation?

When you say it's coming up through the floor, can you be more specific? Is it coming up through the concrete itself, cracks, windows, backflow/overflow from a drain or sump, at the edges where the slab meets the foundation wall?
    this is an unfinished basement,the water seems to be coming up through 2 cracks in the concrete floor. I checked the foundation walls the appear to be dry

That's better than if it were seeping through the concrete itself. It would take a lot of water being there a long time for it to be saturated enough to seep unless it were a bad mix or a bad pour.

Are the cracks clean and hairline in appearance, or are they gaping, heaving, chunks coming off?

I'm going to suggest you have a professional take a look at it after you do something about the water. It doesn't have to be a major project, concrete cracks, people are used to dealing with it. There are many reasons it cracks, one of them is water. Keep in mind that if you have water under your floor, it's a good bet it's under your foundation as well. They'll be able to tell you if it's something that needs to be fixed immediately or normal wear and tear. But if you fix it before you solve the water problem you might have to do it all over again. If you fix the water you may not have to do anything with the concrete at all depending on the cracks.

I'm having trouble with my machine freezing and not posting my replies. I have more about the water, but I'll see if this goes through first.

Water doesn't have to be a major project either but you have to take it in steps. Start at the top of your house and work your way down to what's happening on the ground, then drainage system, then possibly something going on underground if those things haven't solved the problem. If it's not a bigger problem, keeping water flowing away from the foundation should keep you dry in a normal healthy rain.

Any basement can have water during an unusual prolonged rain, the ground can only soak up so much and then water will find a way in anyhow anywhere. Any protrusion, opening, or crack is a vulnerable spot. Should be the exception not the rule though.

So take it in steps doing the simple and obvious you can do yourself and you could potentially save yourself a lot of expense and headaches.

I don't want to bend your ear telling you more than you want to know but if you want to talk about it I'm as Chatty Cathy as they come.
    Last edited by Hatsephsut; 10-26-2008 at 11:15 AM.

I am siding with the others on this. You need to locate and eliminate the source of the water. A lot of those basement sealants don't handle hydrostatic pressure very well and tend to peel off. Chances are that hydrostatic pressure is exactly what is causing the water to seep through the cracks in the first place.
    So your best bet is to do something to relieve that pressure.

Things to be considered:
    - Are those leaking cracks near the joint between the floor and the walls or in the middle of the floor?
    - What do you know about the house's drainage system, if any? Where is it discharging the water? Is there a sump pump?
    (Amazingly, we see a lot of french drain systems installed improperly and with no lines to discharge the collected water.)
    - Is the terrain around the house sloped as to divert water away from the foundation walls?
    - How far from the foundation are your gutter downspouts?

If, like many owners of older houses, you have no idea on how the perimeter drainage system was installed, or not sure there is one in place, I'd suggest you consider installing an internal perimeter drainage system along the basement walls complete with a good sump pump system.

They can be installed without digging out foundations, serviced and flushed as needed. And with a system like this in place you can even think of finishing your basement later.