+ Reply to Thread

Default Type of balusters for a 1901 victorian porch

I have a 1901 Victorian that I am slowing fixing up. I do not have any old pictures of what the front porch looked like. I am trying to determine what the appropriate balusters would be on the front porch. It is a little odd because the existing rail height is so short at 22 inches high.
    Last edited by Tyler Smith; 04-06-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Picture did not work

Default Re: Type of balusters for a 1901 victorian porch

It is a little hard to answer your question as I don't know what your front porch looked like. You may take a look on flat sawn balusters. This balusters can compliment with almost any Victorian style.

That is tedious because as per your situation there has to be too much of thought process involved and recreation should be a work of inspiration.

You might try taking a look here http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/porposbalrai.html for some ideas.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have a fun little book reprinted by Dover, "Turn of the Century Decorative Millwork" a facsimile of a supply catalog from 1902. ISBN 0-486-29280-0. 408 pages. There are 8 pages of porch parts, and I counted 51 styles of baluster.
    I can't describe them all here.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

It is little hard to imaging without actually seen the picture. Try to create computer picture and try with different balusters for the front porch.