+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the best way to repair bathroom ceiling paint cracking?

I have cracking paint areas on my bathroom ceiling. Does anyone know the proper way to repair/remove these unsightly cracks before applying a new coat of paint? I wasn't sure if scraping them away and applying patching compound and later sanding was the right way to go and would I have to sc**** the whole ceiling since they are only in certain spots? What do you think?

Default Re: What is the best way to repair bathroom ceiling paint cracking?

First, I would mitigate the cause of the crackling paint, which is usually excess moisture not being vented from the bathroom.

1. Install exhaust fan vented to the exterior of the structure.
    2. Install a timer switch on new fan or existing fan so that it operates long enough to vent the excess moisture.

The repair is as you suspect, sc**** down the ceiling to remove the roughest areas and remove loose/flaking material. Float with drywall topping compound which will take several coats if you want a smooth surface, however if you are retexturing, then you don't need baby-buns smooth, just the crackle effect filled and a relativlely smooth surface, the texture will hide small imperfections.

Repaint with two coats of a good primer such as Kilz or BullsEye 123. Finish with two coats of good quality semi-gloss or gloss paint, if you really want a durable finish, use exterior grade paint which is formulated for the harsh exterior environment. If you've got a mildew problem, the fan/timer switch will help greatly, there is also a mildecide additive you can mix with the paint to help inhibit bacterial growth.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Improve ventilation and use oil-based products

--Mark, a Painter in Woodbury, MN