+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement Ceiling what would you do?

I own a 1960's "Over-sized Ranch". I am in the process of refinishing the basement for a "Man-town" hang out. The ceiling hight is over 8 feet unfinished. With very few (2) obstructions hanging down. My wife wants me to use sheet rock to finish the ceiling to make it look more like a normal room. I am worried about future pipe and wire acess... I want to go the suspended ceiling route... Anyone have any past experiences or stories that could aid me in my decision...? Make my wife happy or my life easier...

Default Re: Basement Ceiling what would you do?

After some consideration, we went the sheetrock route. We left access holes for shutoff valves and things like that, and made detailed maps of where wires and plumbing go in case we ever had any issues.

We figured that it isn't like we have easy access to wires and plumbing in the rest of house, so... why not go for the better looking solution?

And anyways, making your wife happy will make your life easier lol.

Enjoy your new haven
    Absolutely fearless... and occasionally brainless to boot. Hidden Content

Thanks for the input... We framed in full sized windows and back lit them to make it feel like your in a above grade room, even though we only have those little rectangle basement ones... I guess the sheet-rock will only complete the look...

The window back-lighting sounds nice - hope you are happy with everything once it's all completed.

I should mention that there are some newer drop ceiling products that look 10x better than sheetrock - You can get the look of coffered ceilings, etc with the advantages of being able to pull panels out like with a conventional drop ceiling. Too pricey for my taste though, which is why we didn't choose that option. ($40/4 sf panels)

If you're interested, I can probably dig up a link. I think Andersen makes 'em.
    Absolutely fearless... and occasionally brainless to boot. Hidden Content

Remember it's a basement (moisture...) -- sheetrock can provide a friendly place for mildew to grow. With no "real" windows, you probably have limited air circulation... I'd think about moisture first, and consult a home products store about ceiling materials that will resist mold and mildew.

Consider using one of the newer versions of ceiling tiles. Some of the new designs are sculpted and/or embossed to minimize the 'tiled' look, and can really add nicely to the overall decor.

Also, they'll still allow easier access for things like running new phone ot cable TV lines, or revamping/remodelling the plumbing.
    Jim D.