+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Paper Bag Floors?

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Bev,
    ...Putting the paper down with hot glue, which remains pretty flexible and usually not a smooth even coat to going to cause more trouble especially when furniture is slid across the floor.
    Jack
    Bev,
    I have to agree with Jack on this. Based purely on my experience with composites, you need the fibers(paper in this case) to literally be part of the coat. By doing it the way you are, I'm afraid you'll end up with voids (air) under the paper no matter how hard you press. With enough voids, it'll start making a crackling sound every time you walk on it...just like my hated bathroom linoleum. Whoever did that didn't use enough adhesive.

Now, hopefully, by applying a lot of pressure, you worked in enough poly to help underfill the paper, but if you have any left to do, try putting a layer of poly underneath the paper to help fill the voids.

BTW, did you get your idea from ******? Do you still have the source handy?

Jack,
    I haven't made up my mind, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just stubborn about letting up an idea.
    Your point about it being meant as a finish, not as a stand alone product is a good point. It sounds like you are also saying that the thicker it is, the more prone to shear stress it is. That would definately rule it out for areas with movable furniture.

Anyone else try this and love/hate it?

Thanks again,
    Kestrel

Kestrel ,
    There's nothing wrong with being stubborn, and I wouldn't go by only one opinion either. And the above is just my opinion based on what little logic I still have left. I wish you well on your research and hopefully someone will post that has done this type of floor and has had it down for a while.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I noticed you said you are thinking about this for a concrete basement floor.

I would wonder about moisture coming through the concrete and blooming the poly like water rings on a table finish. Trapping paper fibers against a sub grade concrete might also get moldy or mildew even if the top of the floor doesn't get scratched to let air in what about the sides where the floor meets the walls?

Is there a poly that is made to go on concrete floors? I've heard of epoxy paints and clear epoxy sealers as floor finish on concrete also acrylic or other polyester resins but polyurethane? will it even stick or bond to concrete?
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 10-22-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    ...I would wonder about moisture coming through the concrete and blooming the poly like water rings on a table finish...
    ...Is there a poly that is made to go on concrete floors? I've heard of epoxy paints and clear epoxy sealers as floor finish on concrete also acrylic or other polyester resins but polyurethane? will it even stick or bond to concrete?
    Thats what I'm wondering myself. Is poly even usable on concrete? what is a better fit for concrete while still getting the same effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    ...I would wonder about moisture coming through the concrete and blooming the poly like water rings on a table finish. Trapping paper fibers against a sub grade concrete might also get moldy or mildew even if the top of the floor doesn't get scratched to let air in what about the sides where the floor meets the walls?...
    I'm not as worried about water vapor from underneath, maybe I should. Any staining of the bottom layer would be covered by paper. the paper itself would be exposed if a layer of poly is put down before the paper, thus sealing the paper within poly. Now, if the water vapor can penetrate the poly to get to the paper, I don't know. I thought poly was waterproof. And you're right about the edges. the paper would need to stop before the wall to allow a good seal.

-Kestrel

paper bag floors work great. quite plainly. don't listen to people who haven't done it. they are telling you why not. I've lived with a paper floor for 12 years and it's held up great, you know why? you don't walk on the paper. Just like wood flooring you should never touch your floor. you touch your top coating.

the process is: thin down elmers glue (decopage) and decopage your paper to the floor, using a mallet or roller or another way to press it into the floor. you can keep putting more decopage (read: elmers) on it or top it with polyurethane. you don't have to get your floor flat first, but it will make it a lot easier.

like you said, rip the bags or paper into large pieces and pound them into the thin glue mixture. the pounding will really help on the seams.

12 years. recoated with poly and it's still good. because you don't walk on the paper. it's just a treatment.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    Unfortunately, the leaking basement walls and sagging foundation have taken priority, so the basement floor is having to do with carpet scraps for now.

That being said, would you mind posting pictures of your current floor? After everything posted above, I had pretty much written it off as not standing the test of time.

Thanks again,

-Kestrel

I would, but I'm not living there anymore, though family still does so when I'm back in Michigan I could get pictures. I have friends that did a paper floor over heated coils. What an amazing surface to play on! It makes you want to get on the floor with whatever kid is down there.

I don't know if I have pictures of it, but I will check.