+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Paper Bag Floors?

I have an older ranch home with a full length basement that needs some renovation. Specifically, we want to do something with the cracked concrete slab floor. An idea suggested to us by family was a "Paper Bag Floor".

What I could find out about it ****** has been that this kind of floor is made by taking pieces of crumpled brown paper(such as used to make paper shopping bags), lay them out overlapping on the floor, and pour clear Polyurethane over it. I've generalized a bit on the steps, but that's pretty much it.

I've found sites that detail the use of it on outside covered porches and in small indoor areas. My worry is that none of these sites really talk about the downsides to this kind of flooring.

Anyone have any experience or advice? We are also considering it for use in a small bathroom upstairs.

Thanks in advance,
    Kestrel

Ref:
    http://www.thebudgetdecorator.com/fa...her_floor.html
    http://www.hgtv.com/dc-floors-lamina...ver/index.html

Default Re: Paper Bag Floors?

To me it's just one of those artsy-crafty things to fill in some excess time and heaven help who ever has to remove it later. It's not going to be much more durable than pouring poly directly on the floor. It certainly is not going to work well over a cracked concrete floor.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just when you think you've heard it all.
    Maybe their is a reason you don't hear much about it.
    Sounds like decoupage I did with my kid at Girl Scouts. It didn't hold up very well either.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    To me it's just one of those artsy-crafty things to fill in some excess time and heaven help who ever has to remove it later. It's not going to be much more durable than pouring poly directly on the floor. It certainly is not going to work well over a cracked concrete floor.
    Jack
    At the risk of showing just how amatuer I am, why?

I expect that after sealing the cracks, I'd have to put down a thick base coat to level it all out before putting down the paper. I haven't worked with poly, and certainly have no experience with using it as flooring, but I was under the impression that if kept up, polyurethane was a viable option.
    Should I be looking a Epoxy instead?

Please understand, I'm not married to the idea of this kind of floor, I just want to understand the ups and downs of it. If I have to carpet the whole thing, I will, but from what little I've seen, this could have a nice look to it.

Here's my problem. Poly is a hard durable finish for such things as hardwood. However it does crack and flake if the surface is not solid. Bags or paper of any kind is very thin and made of loose woven fibers and it would have to be glued down to obtain any rigidity at all. Maintaining the poly will help but the paper is still going to crush under foot, is not going to be a thick surface that can be re- finished. As it ages and breaks down you would have to remove it all to do a new surface. I have seen the bag-leather used for table tops on cheap tables but they were not subject to foot traffic.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    ...Bags or paper of any kind is very thin and made of loose woven fibers and it would have to be glued down to obtain any rigidity at all. Maintaining the poly will help but the paper is still going to crush under foot, is not going to be a thick surface that can be re- finished. As it ages and breaks down you would have to remove it all to do a new surface....
    I seem to have created some misimpressions by generalizing on the steps in my original post, as several of your concerns would probably be addressed by the full installation methods, as I understand them.

It sounds like in order for this type of floor to work, three basic layers would be needed.
    - A prep layer - consisting of one or more coats of poly, put down for leveling, sealing, and adhesion purposes.
    - A bag layer - where poly is put down, the bags laid out flat on that while wet, soaked through with poly, and then more poly put on top of the bags while still wet, so the bags are integral to that layer when it dries, without voids. With the bags soaked through, applied to a still wet surface, and then covered, all the fibers should be locked in, immobile and uncrushable.
    - A finishing layer - consisting of several thick coats above the bag layer for protection of the underlying layers and to allow room for resurfacing without damaging the bag layer.

I can tell you REALLY don't like the idea, and that is rapidly changing my mind about doing this in the full basement. I just want to make sure I understand the reasons, as I'm still wondering if it might be usable in an individual room down there, or in an upstairs bathroom.

One BIG assumption that that I've just realized I'm making is that I thought that, if properly cared for, Polyurethane can be resurfaced without taking it down to the hardwood. Is that incorrect? Is Acrylic any different?

Thanks again,
    Kestrel

There will be some expensive costs for all that poly.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush