+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

Just need to ad an Ant Eater to the mix and call it a zoo.
    Geez ... you could charge a nominal admittance fee .... can you say Beer ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Funny you should mention zoo. We were at a fund raiser at the local zoo not long ago (they're building a new giraffe enclosure ) and during the tour we asked if they rented out the ant eater. In this city/state they could make enough to build a thousand giraffe houses since this place was built on an ant hill.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, the eggs are a true benefit to having your own chooks! The only problem I have is that I get about 6 dozen per week. We just can't eat that many eggs!

I have found a good way to turn them into beer, however. At $3/dozen sold to the neighbors, I just about cover my weekend drinking costs!

We also live in an area with deer tick (Lyme disease). They have cut down substantially on the tick population, but my older daughter has contracted it twice now over the past couple of years! I'm thinking about adding some Guinea Hens, but I've heard they are terrible to have around. Any experience?

And speaking of petting zoo, my kids talked me into buying a couple of goats last year. I always told them "If we can't eat it, I don't want it!". Well, they won and we now have two Nigerian Dwarfs as pets. An unforeseen benefit is that I can tie them up and they take care of most of my bushwhacking duties!

Then my younger daughter won a pig at the fair in September. "Patches" is fattening up nicely and should be in the freezer come February! He does some nice roto-tiller work if anyone wants to rent him out before he meets his maker!

Tim

I have found a good way to turn them into beer, however. At $3/dozen sold to the neighbors, I just about cover my weekend drinking costs!
    You had me worried there for a minute! LOL Egg beer doesn't sound so appetizing. We've only got 4 hens and get 2 to 4 eggs a day. With three adults in the house, we keep on top of them pretty well and give a dozen away, now and again, when we get behind.

No, I don't have any experience with Guinea Hens hens. You definitely don't want noisy or mean livestock around young kids. We had pygmy goats on the ranch. They were the cutest dang things - like wind up spring toys. They were a kick to watch.

As for your tick problem, keep brush cleared from your general use areas. If you have access to eucalyptus, get some branches or chips (from a tree company who's pruned/removed a euc ) and spread them liberally around the flowerbeds and other areas. Euc is a natural deterrent to ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, and other nuisance pests.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I hope that we answered donsterr@sbcglobal.net's question before we got off topic. If not, Don, bring us back on track and we'll see what we can do.