+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall Coat Rack? Recommendations

I was wondering if someone might be able to offer suggestions on finding wall coat racks. The setup of my house does not offer the flexibility of a closet by any of my entry doors. A hall tree does not seem an option due to limited foot print area.

Give you a flavor of the criteria to what I am thinking about. Something that is roughly 2 feet by 3 feet, with coat hooks more or less along the top and down towards the bottom. The hooks along the bottom is to get my son to hang up his jacket versus leaving it on the back of the chair in the kitchen. The hooks must be viable enough to handle winter coats. The finish, I am leaning to more of the light oak to blend in with the rest of the furniture.

I am open to any suggestions. I've checked the big box stores and ******, no real success. I started looking into small craft stores but that has been time consuming. Any help someone may be able to lend would be appreciated.

Default Re: Wall Coat Rack? Recommendations

Seems like a hall mirror

would be a good choice.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

first find your studs you'll need to attach to at least two of them. then figure where you want your coat rail in relationship to these studs (they don't have to be centered).

then shop hardware departments until you find the type of hooks you want, then get two planks of wood, you can dress them up with a router or attach pre-milled mouldings. finish the wood and mark your stud locations and pre-drill holes for bolts to go through the studs. attach hooks where you want them on the planks. then attach two planks one at adult height and one below at your child's height.

this way you can make your rail with the spacing you want for the hooks and exactly the length you want. you can dress up the top with a shelf if you want, and hang a mirror in the center between the upper and lower coat rail in the center if you'd like.

a crockery to act as an umbrella stand could sit in the corner and a boot tray on the floor below would finish the dressing station. a mesh or net bag on the lower coat rail could hold mittens and hats for the little one.

This is a good and simple DIY project that can made as simple or eloquent as you like.

Example ..... a 3 1/2 wide ...... 3/4 in. thick .... by 4 foot long piece of Oak ........ routered edges finished with Poly.

Mounted with brass colored screws and trim washers to studs by my entry way.

Last edited by canuk; 10-20-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't have the router or other toys to really make a go at crafting something myself.

Jack, the picture you posted is fairly close to what I had in mind for the kitchen. I just wish there was say another panel just below. That way, I could go high for the full size coats and a lower set of hooks for my son.

It looks like I need to take a road trip to some furniture stores out in Western Massachusetts.

Thanks again for everyone help.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bean_counter67 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't have the router or other toys to really make a go at crafting something myself.

Jack, the picture you posted is fairly close to what I had in mind for the kitchen. I just wish there was say another panel just below. That way, I could go high for the full size coats and a lower set of hooks for my son.

It looks like I need to take a road trip to some furniture stores out in Western Massachusetts.

Thanks again for everyone help.

Paul
    What about having something made at a local cabinet shop? That way you'll get exactly what you want for the space you have. Search the internet for pictures of things that are close to what you are looking for, such as the picture that Jack provided. Then, take those pictures, including the dimensions of the space you have to the cabinetmaker.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I made my own pub mirror as well to hang in the lower entry off of my garage.

Arrgh .... BIKER

BTW ... nice job Kent.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Arrgh .... BIKER

BTW ... nice job Kent.
    Did not think about that when I posted the photo...... The biker part.

It is a great Harley/Biker community and we raise a ton for charity........

Here is a bit more on the logo which can be seen on the back of a jacket in the photo............ Pretty simple.

http://www.rmh-d.com/info/logo.php

I like it though.

Never had any logos or colors on my pink leathers ( kidding .... they're brown leathers )
    Then and again .... wasn't a Harley fan
    Yep ... plenty of "bikers" around here participate in many charity efforts .... they do good stuff with their cycles.
    Last edited by canuk; 10-21-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    - Rush