+ Reply to Thread

Angry Cover and conceal

we bought a house with a "finished" basement, after about a year we have had 3 main problems 1.the chimney leaked which led to the opening of a wall which revealed a rather larges crack in the foundation and a 12 X 36 piece of plywood screwed to the wall!? (why would anyone do this?) 2. this summer we used the a/c which ended up leaking because a drain pipe off the blower unit was removed so a bathroom could be added the water ruined the carpet and some drywall!? (we had to call a plumber to replace to line they removed) 3.finally now we have mice!! I believe they originated from the basement cause when we had the wall open thats when he noticed them. How can I find where they are getting in our house without dismanteling my entire basement? I have 99 glue traps in every other corner of the house and have caught ZERO mice, yet in the traps there were signs they were there, I want to dismantel the bathroom due to the crappy work I've found so far, I'm sure there were some corners cut somewhere else. I really need the big how-to-guns on this one.
    Last edited by mrarthur; 08-27-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Cover and conceal

Look carefully around the outside of the house for any holes, even really small ones.
    Another thing to check for is anything that they might use as a food source and eliminate it.
    Try an exterminator as well. You may tackle one project at a time as this can get cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by mrarthur View Post
    we bought a house with a "finished" basement, after about a year we have had 3 main problems 1.the chimney leaked which led to the opening of a wall which revealed a rather larges crack in the foundation and a 12 X 36 piece of plywood screwed to the wall!? (why would anyone do this?) 2. this summer we used the a/c which ended up leaking because a drain pipe off the blower unit was removed so a bathroom could be added the water ruined the carpet and some drywall!? (we had to call a plumber to replace to line they removed) 3.finally now we have mice!! I believe they originated from the basement cause when we had the wall open thats when he noticed them. How can I find where they are getting in our house without dismanteling my entire basement? I have 99 glue traps in every other corner of the house and have caught ZERO mice, yet in the traps there were signs they were there, I want to dismantel the bathroom due to the crappy work I've found so far, I'm sure there were some corners cut somewhere else. I really need the big how-to-guns on this one.
    removed shower pan and found a 12 inch dia. hole in basement floor where they put in drain trap

This is where the mice are getting in I take it?

not sure did u see pics? the hole was more than big enough gonna bait a sticky tonite and see what happens. A neighbor seems to think for them to have been that far down below grade bypassing footers was uncommon, I'll be on fire watch tonite.

No, I didn't see any pics. Where are they since I missed them?

cant get them to upload here, peanut butter in sticky trap last night yieled nothing.

The trick to getting rid of mice is peppermint extract. They can't stand it. Spread it around where they are getting in and you wont have the problem any more.