+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Angry Cover and conceal

we bought a house with a "finished" basement, after about a year we have had 3 main problems 1.the chimney leaked which led to the opening of a wall which revealed a rather larges crack in the foundation and a 12 X 36 piece of plywood screwed to the wall!? (why would anyone do this?) 2. this summer we used the a/c which ended up leaking because a drain pipe off the blower unit was removed so a bathroom could be added the water ruined the carpet and some drywall!? (we had to call a plumber to replace to line they removed) 3.finally now we have mice!! I believe they originated from the basement cause when we had the wall open thats when he noticed them. How can I find where they are getting in our house without dismanteling my entire basement? I have 99 glue traps in every other corner of the house and have caught ZERO mice, yet in the traps there were signs they were there, I want to dismantel the bathroom due to the crappy work I've found so far, I'm sure there were some corners cut somewhere else. I really need the big how-to-guns on this one.
    Last edited by mrarthur; 08-27-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Cover and conceal

Look carefully around the outside of the house for any holes, even really small ones.
    Another thing to check for is anything that they might use as a food source and eliminate it.
    Try an exterminator as well. You may tackle one project at a time as this can get cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by mrarthur View Post
    we bought a house with a "finished" basement, after about a year we have had 3 main problems 1.the chimney leaked which led to the opening of a wall which revealed a rather larges crack in the foundation and a 12 X 36 piece of plywood screwed to the wall!? (why would anyone do this?) 2. this summer we used the a/c which ended up leaking because a drain pipe off the blower unit was removed so a bathroom could be added the water ruined the carpet and some drywall!? (we had to call a plumber to replace to line they removed) 3.finally now we have mice!! I believe they originated from the basement cause when we had the wall open thats when he noticed them. How can I find where they are getting in our house without dismanteling my entire basement? I have 99 glue traps in every other corner of the house and have caught ZERO mice, yet in the traps there were signs they were there, I want to dismantel the bathroom due to the crappy work I've found so far, I'm sure there were some corners cut somewhere else. I really need the big how-to-guns on this one.
    removed shower pan and found a 12 inch dia. hole in basement floor where they put in drain trap

This is where the mice are getting in I take it?

not sure did u see pics? the hole was more than big enough gonna bait a sticky tonite and see what happens. A neighbor seems to think for them to have been that far down below grade bypassing footers was uncommon, I'll be on fire watch tonite.

No, I didn't see any pics. Where are they since I missed them?

cant get them to upload here, peanut butter in sticky trap last night yieled nothing.