+ Reply to Thread

Default wiring an old house

Hi All, I am going to install some wiring in an old house.
    I am going to put wiring on the inside surface of the wall in a finished area. It will be visible. Is there some sort of "conduit" avaiable for this situation ?

Rob from NY

Default Re: wiring an old house

Sure --- there's metal conduit ( though you need to be handy with a bender) --- PVC conduit --- and wire mold raceways from companies like Panduit.

Of course you will also need surface mount electrical boxes.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Wiremold is a trademarked product that is designed for on-wall wiring. If installed correctly next to molding it is almost invisible. It is relatively expensive at about $1.00 per foot and about $5 per box/fittings and it can be tedious to cut and install but it does the job. No need to paint it as it already has a finish coat of either beige or white. Make sure that you ream each cut piece thoroughly to avoid abraiding the THHN wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Wiremold is a trademarked product that is designed for on-wall wiring. If installed correctly next to molding it is almost invisible. It is relatively expensive at about $1.00 per foot and about $5 per box/fittings and it can be tedious to cut and install but it does the job. No need to paint it as it already has a finish coat of either beige or white. Make sure that you ream each cut piece thoroughly to avoid abraiding the THHN wiring.
    Wiremold make metal & plastic variations of the same product. Both have advantages. If you are talking about filing the burrs of the metal type, that is a great idea. The metal Wiremold does come with metal clips that are installed at the ends of raceway runs, but are a bear to work with...

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sure --- there's metal conduit ( though you need to be handy with a bender) --- PVC conduit --- and wire mold raceways from companies like Panduit.

Of course you will also need surface mount electrical boxes.

Thanks, actually wiremold is Legrand and I guess Panduit is a competitor. Wiremold has the outlets built into the raceway and Panduit has seperate outlet boxes.

So I have 2 choices of suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson2 View Post
    Thanks, actually wiremold is Legrand and I guess Panduit is a competitor. Wiremold has the outlets built into the raceway and Panduit has seperate outlet boxes.

Wiremold makes a product line with outlets as part of the track as well as a product with separate outlet boxes. Both rather unattractive, but functional.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson2 View Post

Yep --- I guess it would have been less confusing if it was stated .... wire raceway ... and drop the "mold" .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush