+ Reply to Thread

Default rust from nails bleeding through paint

Have a large wood fence that is painted white. Apparently the nails used are starting to rust and the rust stains are bleeding through the paint. Any ideas on how to stop the rust stain from coming through. I know I can pull all the nails and replace with stainless or the proper coated nails but this is one large fence.

Default Re: rust from nails bleeding through paint

You could test Killz primer as an alternative. It covers and prevents bleed-thru on just about everything I've tried it on.

You can hold back the rust stains for a long time by applying a couple coats of aluminum paint over them and then repainting. (Three coats won't hurt, either) Rustoleum aluminum paint in a rattle can should work as handy as anything.

It's not a cure to the problem, but does a decent job of treating the symptoms. Where I've taken this approach, it's held back the rust stains for ten years or more.

Look for a product called Ospho. It chemically changes the rust (iron oxide) to iron phosphate. The rust will turn to, almost, black as the Ospho dries. After the recommended drying time, spot prime with a stain blocking oil base primer, like Kilz, as suggested above. The Ospho creates a shell over the rust and keeps air and moisture from touching the nails.
    Good luck. Stopping rust is like trying to put out a forest fire but this process is what I have found that works the best.