+ Reply to Thread

Question A nasty toilet bowl

A 2-bathroom home in MI, with a water softener.

Our master bath toilet, about 2-3 weeks after being brushed and scrubbed, starts to accumulate and build-up this nasty-looking brown residue in the bowl, like a toilet that hasn't seen a brush in months.

However, the other bathroom toilet doesn't accumulate this nasty-looking brown film, and rarely, if ever, needs brushing.

Does anyone know what causes this brownish film to accumulate, especially in only one toilet, when both receive the same water supply?

Thanks

Default Re: A nasty toilet bowl

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Lower grade toilets don't have the finish that name brand toilets have. Are the toilets the same make?

John
    Yes, both are the same. With a company logo of WC on the base.

I'm assuming they are the original bowls. The home is a manufactured unit from 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by boblpn View Post
    A 2-bathroom home in MI, with a water softener.

Our master bath toilet, about 2-3 weeks after being brushed and scrubbed, starts to accumulate and build-up this nasty-looking brown residue in the bowl, like a toilet that hasn't seen a brush in months.

However, the other bathroom toilet doesn't accumulate this nasty-looking brown film, and rarely, if ever, needs brushing.

Does anyone know what causes this brownish film to accumulate, especially in only one toilet, when both receive the same water supply?

Thanks

Are you serious? 2 to 3 weeks or more between cleanings? And you're asking why there's a build up?

1 - Toilets are a bacteria playground.
    2 - Human waste isn't sanitary and acts as food for bacteria, particularly after 2 to 3 weeks.
    3 - Municipal water systems are not devoid of bacteria and nasties.
    4 - Use + human waste + 2 to 3 weeks = nasty toilet bowl.

Your other bathroom probably sees minimal use, hence the longer durations between nasty build up.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

[QUOTE=A. Spruce;177353Your other bathroom probably sees minimal use, hence the longer durations between nasty build up.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the toilet that doesn't get buildup is the toilet that gets more use (two teenage girls, and it is the 'public' bathroom of the house.

Our toilet (mstr bath), the one with the problem, doesn't see as much action. I use it only twice a day, and my wife, maybe 4-5 times a day.

The point I'm trying to make is; two identical toilets on the same water system, the one that sees less action never gets ANY type of buildup.

When it starts to buildup again, I'll take a pic and post.

First, I'll apologize for my last post, it may have seemed more out of line than was intended. My apologies for that.

My experience with a toilet that becomes encrusted with stuff is usually caused by one of two things, lack of maintenance (cleaning ), and very hard water, and frequently in that order.

Unusually hard water (high mineral content ) can not only leave deposits within the toilet, sometimes it can be seen suspended within the water. Heavy iron content can be the most noticeable because a "rust" color occurs.

The types of cleaners you use can also make a difference. Bleach based products tend to keep the bowl a little cleaner between normal home maintenance than more natural products such as hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar.

If you only clean the bathrooms once or twice a month, then you may want to try products that are applied to the toilet tank that release a bit of sanitizer/cleaner with each flush. The bowl should stay cleaner looking longer. Shy away from products like "Tidy bowl" that have a color to them because that colorant will etch the porcelain over time and stain the toilet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just my experience but I'll share it.
    What does the tank look like inside? Are there any rusty parts in there? Is the toilet right near a heater? The heat helps the nasties grow.

Try emptying the tank and scrubbing it clean. Then let it fill and see how it lasts.

Finally, Check the condition of the supply valve and inlet pipe.
    Are there any old galvanized pipes in the supply side that maybe are not there in the other bath?

Hope this helps