+ Reply to Thread

Default Loss of hot water pressure in kitchen sink

Hi, I have recently lost hot water in the kitchen sink. The faucet is a two-knob design, one knob for cold water, one knob for hot water. The cold water pressure is fine. Also, hot water in the rest of the house seems fine. It's a one story house, and the hot water heater is in good shape.

I don't know if it's related, but in one bathroom, the toilet occasionaly runs like the flapper valve may not be getting a good seal. After it finishes running, I can hear the pipes in the cieling "clang" together, if that makes any sense. That noise has also recently gotten worse.

I will likely be calling a professional out, but I was just wondering if there was anything I could check first. My biggest fear is that a line burst somewhere and I've had water running continuously for a last couple of days. A four or five-figure water bill is not what I need right now!

Thanks for any advice.

Jeremy

Default Re: Loss of hot water pressure in kitchen sink

The toilet and sink are unrelated.

The sink: you can do some troubleshooting yourself, if you're handy with tools. Shut off the water underneath the sink, disconnect the hot water line, then turn the line on and run the water into a bucket. If the pressure is good, the problem is in the faucet. If the pressure is low, the first thing I'd check is to see if that shutoff valve is plugged. It's going to be the most restricted part of the system to that point, and sometimes debris can get caught there.

The toilet: Check the water level when it stops filling after you flush. It should be 1 inch below the overflow. If it is, or if it keeps running, replace the flapper valve. When the fill valve shuts off, it closes very suddenly; the inertia of the moving water in the pipe being suddenly stopped causes the water hammer. You can minimize water hammer by make sure the pipes are securely fastened to the framing of the house so they can't move. If you have a pressure regulator (usually just after the meter), adjust it so that the pressure doesn't exceed 50 PSI.

A possible line break: Make sure there's no water running anywhere. Lift up the lever in the fridge's icemaker to keep that from running. Then go out and look at the water meter. There's a little triangle on the dial; if it turns AT ALL then there's a water leak. This triangle will move noticeably with even slight water usage, but may not be noticeable with a drip.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-20-2008 at 01:26 AM.