+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb raising the ceiling vs. removing the popcorn... what's cheaper

Recently my mother moved into a somewhat small (under 1000 square feet) condo/apartment that was built in the late 70's (1979 I think,) and she's left it up to me to try to do any remodeling or decorating that I may see fit. The apartment is on the second floor and has very ugly popcorn ceilings. I'm considering having the popcorn removed which could only improve the look of the place. I'm aware that the popcorn might contain asbestos, which is why I'll have a certified professional do the work. I thought did occur to me however: would it be cheaper to just have the whole ceiling removed and replaced and perhaps even raised a foot or two (it's your standard 8 feet now) rather than having the popcorn scrapped off. It seems to me that it would create a smaller mess because large sheets of the stuff would be getting removed versus each individual bit of popcorn. What do you think?

Default Re: raising the ceiling vs. removing the popcorn... what's cheaper

Yep .... I'm with you regarding not liking textured ceilings.

As for costs and amount of mess .... it would be less expensive in the long run just to have the ceiling sc****d , patched and painted. The mess can be more from removing the ceiling and putting in new drywall . There will be debris from the removal part and there will be a mess from the installation , mudding and sanding.
    There is also the consideration of removing the debris of the old drywall and getting the new drywall into the suite.

Whereas a few garbage bags from the removal of the scrapings from the ceiling would be the only debris.

I know from experience condo Corps. get upset with messes from contractors moving stuff in and out of suites.

It's unclear if the ceilings can be raised but if there is room there are other considerations that come into play.

For example .... let's say you can raise the ceilings by a foot ..... you will also have to extend the drywall along the upper portion of the walls to meet the new ceiling height.
    Likely there are ceiling light fixtures which means relocating the electrical for these fixtures and depending on local code requirements could require a permit and inspections.

Again......... depending on your local building and fire codes you could be opening up a can of worms. In some areas the codes are more strict for multi-unit dwellings like condos as compared to single dwelling residences when it comes to fire codes. By opening up the ceilings you may be required to bring things up to current building and fire codes which means permits and inspections...... which will affect the costs for time and materials. If there are condo Corp. rules and regulations they will likely insist all remodel or renovations follow current building / fire codes and be done with permits and inspections.

You might investigate with the Condo rules and your local building department if these considerations apply.

Just some thoughts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The easiest, cheapest, and least expensive will be to sc**** the popcorn. If done properly, there will be little to no mess at all.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Oh sure .... give a short and sweet answer.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Oh sure .... give a short and sweet answer.
    I'm a man of few words.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I'm a man of few words.
    Oh yeah ...... that's right .... I forgot
    - Rush