+ Reply to Thread

Question Dryer lint hazard

I recently moved into a 3 bedroom house (of approximate 1500 square feet). When the installers came to install my new washer/dryer, they told me that there was no vent to the outside for the dryer. The house is approximately 50 years old and apparently they have NEVER had a vent for a dryer installed. It apparently was just vented to the crawl space.

The house is build on a perimeter foundation and a crawl space. When I went into the crawl space to check on the conditions there, I found that almost the entire ground surface is covered with about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of lint.

I have purchased all the materials necessary to install a vent and it should be a pretty straightforward job to do this. However, I am concerned about the fire hazard associated with all the lint. How much of a hazard am I faced with? How should I perform a clean up to remove all the lint material that has built up over the years? Is it even safe to work under the house while the lint is still there and airborne?

I have no experience with this kind of issue and some advice would be very much appreciated.

David

Default Re: Dryer lint hazard

I imagine it would be a fire hazard. To clean it up, I'd use a shop vac with a HEPA filter.

I think HEPA filters are available for most shop vacs as an aftermarket addon. The one I have is made by W. L. Gore, the makers of Gore-Tex.

Wear a dust mask and safety glasses or goggles to keep it out of your eyes and lungs too.

Mike

It's not hazardous waste .... it's simply lint ..... you can use a rake to gather it and throw it into a trash bag.
    If it's gets dusty then wear a dusk mask.

If your crawl space has dampness this shouldn't be too much of an issue as far as fire hazard while removing.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    It's not hazardous waste .... it's simply lint ..... you can use a rake to gather it and throw it into a trash bag.
    If it's gets dusty then wear a dusk mask.
    Right. I just suggested a HEPA filter to avoid recirculating the fine dust back into the air. And of course, eye and respiratory protection is a good idea, because dust is ALWAYS an irritant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Right. I just suggested a HEPA filter to avoid recirculating the fine dust back into the air. And of course, eye and respiratory protection is a good idea, because dust is ALWAYS an irritant.
    Since this is only lint .... you can always mist it with water and gather it with minimal ( if at all ) dust.
    No need to go out and spend $$$ on a shop vac with a HEPA filter to vacum lint out of a crawl space.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yep, I'd clean it out of there. It's not really a fire hazard (how many fires start in a crawlspace?) but it will encourage pests to nest there and besides, if you ever have to work down there (fixing pipes, installing an exhaust vent) having lint all over the place would be real nuisance. If there's already a plastic ground cover on the crawlspace floor, you can probably just shop-broom the lint into piles and stuff it in garbage bags to remove it--that would be quicker than a shop vac that would fill up quickly. A dust mask is definitely in order.