+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Sudden Surge in Energy Bills

My husband and I live in a 1920's small brick farmhouse (1000 sq ft). Our utility bills for the previous year have been moderate from $80 - $140, then suddenly our bills jumped to 180 for two consective months. I assumed that it was the amount of A/C we were running so we turned the thermostat up to 72 from 68. We cut back on the A/C and various other things (making sure lights were turned off ect.), however even with the temp at almost 75 outside all the time and the A/C themostat set on 72 our bill was still $170. Our bill same month last year was only $80. Any ideas what could have caused this sudden surge in electric?

Default Re: Sudden Surge in Energy Bills

The first thing you need to do is look at the amout of Kilowatt hours ( Kwh ) used . How does that compare to last year at this time ? Look at the cost per Kwh . Any fuel adjustment charge ?
    If all of those things are the same as last year , come back here and we will look at other issues .

If your usage has suddenly had an increase, check to see if your well pump is running even when no water is being used. Leaks in under ground lines or even down in the well can cause a significant increase in pump cycling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ditto Dan and Jack. The key is Kwh used and charges. If you pitched your old bills and don't have records you can probably get a recap if you give your electric utility provider your meter number or address. (I can search my info on-line.)

This year I'm saving energy and going "Green" by plugging an extention cord into my neighbors outside receptacle. (Well camo'ed) I use it for a laptop, TV, desk lamp, small electric room heater and small microwave......................

Just kidding, just kidding around.

We used many more Kw hours this year for some reason. Last year we used 30 daily hours, this year 45 daily hours. We use city water so a well pump wouldn't be the blame. We have replaced the hot water heater (it is only about 10 months old), and it is actually smaller than the 20+ year old one we had, and claimed to be energy efficent. We also replaced the washing machine with an energy efficent version about 6 months ago. Yesterday I went to check the meter, A/C turned off, fridge not running, and no hot water used within about two or three hours and the meter was still spinning very quickly. Any ideas?

OK , have someone watch the meter , and turn off circuit breakers one at a time until you find the one that slows or stops it . Identify what is on that circuit . Let us know .