+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question need help with kitchen floor

Hello! I have a kitchen that was last redone in the late 70's. There is old vinyl flooring glued to 1/4" luan (is that the right term?), but the cabinets were put in first. They sit upon the subfloor, and are lower than the vinyl. Was this the right way to do it, because it seems odd to me.

Default Re: need help with kitchen floor

Flooring is usually the last thing to be installed so that it does not get damaged during the construction and installation of everything else. It is extremely common for cabinets to go in first and the flooring last, though this is not a steadfast rule.

You can also look at it this way, be thankful that the current floor does not go under the cabinets because replacement will be much easier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for that. This house was a rental before I bought it and there's lots of band-aid fixes. Good to know this wasn't one of them

You're welcome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!