+ Reply to Thread

Default Raised floors in historic house

My boyfriend and I opted to buy a 246-year-old farmhouse. It's been maintained really well over the years, but we noticed that in several rooms around the perimeter (most likely due to settling) the hardwood floors are uneven and raised. The 1st floor bedroom is raised about 3 inches so that the bedroom door doesn't open all the way because of it. Is there cost-efficient way to take care of this without hiring a professional? We're both DIYers with some basic home improvement know-how.

Thanks!

Default Re: Raised floors in historic house

Hi is it raised or did multiple layers of flooring be added as the flooring wore out.
    At Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska a old telegraph building on display had as i remember 9 layers of flooring as one wore they over laied again an again.. If ever in the area the most amazing Americana collection in USA well worth a day of two look see 40 buildings great cafe next door and lodging too. My kids have this as one of best childhood memories stopping on the way to grams .

Default Re: Raised floors in historic house

Old houses sometimes had massive stone foundations that were infilled between the floor joists. If the floor joists decay or shrink, the flooring itself rides high on the masonry. The solution would be to investigate the condition of the joists. Another characteristic of structure the age of yours is that there isn't even a crawl space beneath; the framing was basically laid at ground level, making work below impossible without hand-digging, or pulling the floors. Assuming you don't want to destroy the floors (once original flooring comes up, it never goes back down the same) you would have to excavate. If the flooring runs beneath the baseboard, that has to come out first. If you are lucky enough to have a cellar in the affected area, it will be relatively painless to shim or repair the framing in a straightforward manner.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.