+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing Pine Hardwood Floors

Our house was built according to the design of an 1800's farm
    house built in Kansas City, Kansas. Our house has two stories, and both stories are covered with 5" pine wood. When we moved into the house in 1999, we had the floors lightly sanded and covered with one coat of polyurethane. Now the floors look scratched and tarnished where furniture is moved and where there is heavy traffic (in front of the refrigerator, stove, sink, dishwasher, around the table, in front of the den furniture, in the foyer and up the stairs).

We don't feel that we can replace the wood, so we would like to know if there is a way to repair it that would not cost too much and that would be more durable.

Thanks,

Default Re: Repairing Pine Hardwood Floors

Bunn9860, What you might want to try before you sand. Wash the floor thoroughly make sure you remove and wax is present. Buff the floor with 220 grit sand paper or 000 steel wool. Vacuum all the dust up. Then try applying a coat of floor poly and see how it looks. It may say you a lot of work and money. Wood floors do require maintenance but you don't have to kill yourself.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Repairing Pine Hardwood Floors

News flash...this is what pine floors do! LOL
    Seriously...I have a circa:1680 house and I personally installed a gazillion sq ft of Eastern wide plank pine "knowing" all to well this is what happens to it no matter how you finish it. Its soft...duh.
    You do however need three coats of a poly finish or double that of a tung oil finish.
    Sanding pine floors is no easy feat. I sanded most of the floors myself.
    Some of the floors I had my floor refinishing guy do and they HATE sanding pine. No matter what sander you use it leaves chatter marks. I had to go back after they were done with my ROS to get the chatter marks out.
    There are less agressive sanders than drum sanders but those really were not much better...
    Knowing this..you just accept it and deal with it.
    Tell ya what...the floors TO ME look better after they're very beat up rather than how they look in the beginning stages of beat up...lol. Really!
    There's nothing you can do about it but I will say you most definatly need three coats of finish minimum.Check my website below to see my floors in the Goose Hill Road project.
    Some of the floors are 365 years old (original) but most are new which I installed.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו