View Poll Results: Murphy Beds, forgotten classic?

Voters
5. This poll is closed
  • Great Idea

5 100.00%
  • Always look old and out dated

0 0%
  • Never would purchase

0 0%
  • Murphy Beds? People still make those things?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Murphy Beds in a Farm House? Help!

My husband and I have recently purchased our first home, an old farm house on a few acres in Oregon. Built in 1907, we were a little leery, however there have been many up grades to the home through the years (like in door plumbing). All the room have doors that close them off from on another and upstairs there are three main room and then several sub-rooms in each separated but doors. One of the rooms is so small that when you place a bed frame inside there is no room for anything else. I'd like to make it my yoga studio but would like to still have the ability to have a bed in case we have an over flow of guests this holiday.

We live in Oregon and found a great local Murphy bed company, Old Creek Wall Bed Factory. We would like to make a purchase but we are unsure if our studs/support structure for the home will support this type of weight.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've listed the company link for Old Creek in case anyone is also thinking about a Murphy Bed, they have the most beautifully designed beds on the market. My husband and I have spent months researching!

www.wallbedfactory.com

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Murphy Beds in a Farm House? Help!

I can assure you that any house built in 1907 is far and above anything you'll find today. I grew up in a turn of the century (the last century ) home that was wood clapboard outside, full dimension studs in the center and clapboard on the inside. There was no insulation, but the structure was phenomenal. I have worked on many similar homes in the last 20 years and all are equally stout with clapboard siding and full dimension stud framing. The only difference is that the homes I've worked in have plaster interiors and not the clapboard that the farmstead home I grew up in had.

At any rate, the link you provided says that all you need is to find 3 studs within the wall in which to attach the bed frame to. Considering that this will be a maximum of 48", finding 3 studs should not be a problem. Also, keep in mind that the major force/weight of the bed will be sitting on the floor. The anchors into studs are only to keep the bed in it's folded upright position, so it's only resisting a small amount of weight, there is no real stress on the wall of the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!