+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tub refinishing

Default tub refinishing

I was planning to refinish a cast iron tub using a do it yourself kit but after looking closely, the tub has already been refinished (I cannot tell if it was done professionally or not). Can I still do it myself, do I need a professional, can I strip the finish or do I need to bite the bullet and get a new tub?

Default Re: tub refinishing

IMHO, tub refinishing isn't a DIY project, not if you want a professional quality finish. Also, the generally accepted lifespan of a refinish is about 3 to 5 years, so you must weigh the cost of refinishing against the cost of replacement to find the real value.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Is the 3-5 year refinish lifespan really correct? I received a quote for $340 to do the work but frankly it sounds like it's a better longer term deal to simply get a new tub? Can you confirm the 3-5 pls?

As with all things, lifespan will be determined by use and abuse. If this tub doesn't get used frequently, then it will last for years. Yet this same tub that is used 3 or 4 times a day, has things dropped in it by it's users, caustic or abrasive cleansers used on it, etc, will have a shorten lifespan indeed. Three to five years is the typical estimate.

When you start considering costs, how old is your original unit compared to it's use and care? The factory finish will be the best and most durable. Spray coatings are good but not as good as factory finishes, so you'd be lucky to get 1/2 to 3/4 of the lifespan from them. Spray coatings run in the $350 to $400 range, replacing a tub and surround can easily be 4 or 5 times that amount, if not more. This is why spray coatings are an attractive and viable alternative to total replacement.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That makes sense on usage/life span. the tub is about 20 years and in great shape save for color and anti slip surface. I'm leaving it in place because of the point on cost that you make.
    The pricepoint for resurfacing you mention is bang on. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks again.

Glad to have helped.