+ Reply to Thread

Default New Plaster Skim Coat

I have a room that had large holes patched and a skim coat put on the entire room and was wondering how long I need to let the room set before I put paint and primer on the walls. I know that they used Sheet Rock type light weight joint compound and then skim coated the walls with regular joint compound.

Default Re: New Plaster Skim Coat

Did they final sand? If so, paint away.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Did they final sand? If so, paint away.
    Actually, are the walls finished, period? Meaning is the contractor finished with the skimming, sanding, texturing, etc? If the contractor is through, then once the joints go from a dark "wet" look to a dry chalky look it's basically ready for primer and paint. Depending on the ambient temperature and humidity drying time is between 24 and 48 hours, again, depending on temp and humidity.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As above...
    But make SURE those walls/joints are dust free!!!
    THAT can take awhile!
    Use a "fine dust" added bag in your shop-vac if walls aren't dust-free.
    Vacuum floor as well, so you aren't kicking up dust.

If you're fussy about a SMOOTH paintjob, apply a FULL coat of a good primer, and let dry a day.
    Then, use a fine sanding-screen on a pole-sander, evenly and lightly knock-off the the fuzzed paper in whole room.

De-dust all surfaces again, and apply TWO FULL coats of the best paint you can afford, using the best roller-covers/frames/brushes you can afford.

It DOES make a difference!

Faron

Once sheetrock mud is dry it is ready to paint. If there is any exposed plaster showing, be sure to put an oil based primer on those spots first. The water in latex paint (60%-70%) will react to the plaster and cause it to disolve.

Thanks everyone for your reply. Yes I will not prime and paint until the finish sanding is complete. My concern was that where I had large holes in the walls where the plaster was missing down to the lathe board this portion of the wall might take longer to dry. I secured all of the loose plaster with plaster washers and where the plaster was completely missing I put some mesh wire to help secure the new plaster patch. My concern was that was if there was any moisture left in the walls it would probably effect my paint and that is the last thing I need. The guy that fixed my plaster walls said that in all the years he had been repairing plaster that my prep work was unbelievable and made his job much easier. As a home owner of a house that was built around 1840's it made me happy to here that all of the reading I have done in This Old House Magazine is paying off. Thanks once again.