+ Reply to Thread

Default Best type of Foam Insulation??

I own a 1952, slate roof, cape cod in MD with No attic insulation. I am looking to finish this blank canvas into two bedrooms and a bath(in the future). I really like the slate but know that it will need to be replaced in the near future. I am trying to get another several years out of it and will use synthetic slate to replace.

The types of foams I am looking at are closed-cell and open-cell. Do I want closed cell to prevent water leaks? Or do I want open-cell? I have talked to several insulation guys and have gotten different opinions. Plus, I have investigated ****** "do-it-yourself" kits that I am considering.

Bottom line is anything is better than nothing. Just want to use the best product for my situation at the most cost effective price. Thanks for reading. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Cindy
    (R35 is the recommended level for my area.)

Default Re: Best type of Foam Insulation??

Howdy was just reading the argument over foam Consider reviewing July09 Fine Homebuilding Magizine pg 32 "Spray Foam: What do you really know?" I found it interesting to learn the diminishing returns for installing over 3" and how two experts disagree. So research before you install.

Howdy just a thought but you might consider using Roxul Comfort bat rock wool insulation instead of foam as it has some rel outstanding qualities verses foam. Their web page and videos sure impressed me. My biggest concerns with foam is Fire and killer gasses and $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy was just reading the argument over foam Consider reviewing July09 Fine Homebuilding Magizine pg 32 "Spray Foam: What do you really know?" I found it interesting to learn the diminishing returns for installing over 3" and how two experts disagree. So research before you install.
    Thanks. I tried to access ****** but couldn't see entire article. I'll try the library. The gist is exactly my question, open or closed? I was thinking water as in rain/snow, I hadn't considered condensation...that would condense on the wood if it I heat the space...

I'll keep researching....