+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Need friendly advice on which water heater technology

I purchased my home 5 years ago with an existing 40 gl gas water heater that's dated 1996. It's time to replace it. Of all the newer types of technology, which would be the most cost effective for me? The water heater is in a small room with the furnace in our finished basement with vented doors. Does anyone have any experience with the new GE or Rheem heat pump water heaters? I thought about tankless but the installation costs are huge. I'm in the northeast (NJ). Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need friendly advice on which water heater technology

The answer depends on an unknown: future energy costs.

They tell us that the US has lots of natural gas for many years to come.

For now, my recommendation is to simply replace it, like for like. The cost of other options is so high that the payback in energy savings will not be realized until just about the time that they must be replaced.

A further consideration is the fact that the type you now have is a proven, low-maintenance product. Other types, like tankless and heat pump, are far more complex, making for greater possibility of the need for expensive service calls. One $200 service call eats up a lot of what you hoped to save in energy costs.

Whould your opinion change if I were to let you know we're also thinking about getting solar panels for our rooftop? With an electric water, would that be considered cost efficient? Thanks for your response.

Solar preheaters for the waterheater work well, but only when it's warm and sunny out, you're still going to have to use gas or electric heating before use, as well as for high demand use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RVC7 View Post
    Whould your opinion change if I were to let you know we're also thinking about getting solar panels for our rooftop? With an electric water, would that be considered cost efficient? Thanks for your response.
    Not really, with solar hot water panels you will need to use water/anti-freeze mixture, a pump, a thermostat to control the pump, and a holding tank/heat exchanger to transfer the heat from the solar loop to the water. If you are talking about photo voltaic panels the cost of the panels, the control equipment, the inverter, power storage, etc and the life expectancy of the panels you will not realize a pay back greater than the cost.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb